Tasty Treat


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
February 18th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

ExeterExeterExeter

Feeling thirsty?
The Exeter pub, in trendy Rundle St, which is a hangout for yuppies and artists during the day and ...oh so cool... students anytime, has some of the tastiest house reds by the glass in Adelaide. And when you daydream about Paris, you can stare at the empty and dusty bottles of Bollinger that line the top shelf above the front bar. If like me, you have been a graduate student, scribbling and watching every penny, and then spending blindly on beer or booze, when the angst of writing a thesis gets to you, you need to shop around for a tasty wine and place to relax. It is best to stick to wine if you are visiting though, as I did meet a date at the Exeter, and got a little piqued, she was already happily chatting to the fellas at the front bar. If drunks had cameras, I do remember with the help of a friend manhandling a customer who was getting agro towards a former Premier of South Australia in the front bar....

So I have come full circle, from dreaming about the journey of travelling and changing careers to actually doing it. Welcome to my blog. Next stop is horse country where I will be working at a winery during harvest. Well, maybe wine country is a better image, but I still get images of tough cowboys riding horses and smoking when i say the word Marlborough (New Zealand), as with the advertisements which I saw as a kid.

It is funny town Adelaide. I can walk straight East along Hindley St which turns into Rundle Mall which turns into Rundle St and pass the gamut of consumer items for sale. So from an all night petrol station which of course has a fast food place "Big Burgers" opposite, past a University campus, BDSM store, strip joint, various nights spots and slot machines and some quality book stores, to the usual up market consumer stores, down to the Exeter and trendy cinemas and vegetarian and Asian lunch cafés. Yes an interesting walk. Various identities tend to emerge such as the guy in army gear handing out bibles. Of course you have to sit and watch to work this out......And that is the crux, a bus here or there will not expose the underbelly of life, the flow of personality, the strength of a place......



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Rundle MallRundle Mall
Rundle Mall

Central shopping area
Adelaide UniversityAdelaide University
Adelaide University

River Torrens and Adelaide University


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb