Waves and Weather


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 7th 2006
Published: July 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was a day to dive. The weather was nice, and the seas were calm. Which is a relative term out here in the great barrier reef. The wind was at 20 knots and the waves didn’t knock us around to the point where we couldn’t stand.
I guess, as far as a rating would go,
0-nothing
1- easy to walk around the ship
2- plan before you walk
3- forget about walking with food in your hands
4- anti gravity chamber
The day only got to about a 2.

Also, I made sure to drink lots of water, about 5 litres, to make sure that I wouldn’t get a headache and could do 4 dives today.
The day wasn’t filled with anything too new, but that was okay. I saw quite a few white tipped reef sharks, 3 in one dive, and on my night dive I saw a cuttle fish, which looks like a big ole shimp on steroids…almost like a character from super Mario bros underwater level. Also got to do my first drift dive, where we jump into the water and fly by the seat of our pants for over a mile just by the current underwater. It was a great feeling, and I noticed some of the other divers putting their hands out to complete the feeling of flying over a canyon.
The initial maneuver of actually entering the water was straight out a navy seals book, the one intended for halo dives. We all put our gear on, instead of doing it just as we entered the water on the platform, and we went one after the other off the back of the boat, then the boat just sort of disappeared. We went under, caught up with the reef, and just soared for about an hour.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb