Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
March 30th 2012
Published: May 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our first day in Cairns

We settled in to our hotel and explored the small city. We did some window shopping at the Duty Free Center and walked the main streets of Cairns. We people watched at the Esplanade which had a lagoon and caught some sun rays. It was a day of leisure and exploration.

Later in the evening we headed to Ochre Restaurant for a fabulous Australian cuisine. We ordered the Australian Cuisine where we shared 5 courses. It was here where we ate crocodile, kangaroo, wallaby, prawns, and so much more. Prawns are very similar to shrimp, but much larger. Crocodile was definitely our favorite and kangaroo was a bit gamey. We were told by Aussies we met in Sydney that the more rare, the better kangaroo tastes. We definitely enjoyed tasting the various Aussie foods.

We ate our dinner outside and right around sunset, about 50 fruit bats flew into the sky. Cairns is definitely home to hundreds of bats and we shared the twilight sky with all of them.

We were extremely lucky that we experienced beautiful weather. This was monsoon season and had we arrived one week earlier, we would have been confined to our hotel room. Mother nature was definitely on our side.

Australian Word of the Day: MaC’ers =McDonalds


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb