Australian Journey 1987


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
June 15th 1987
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Escott Station


June 15, Monday.
It’s 2:00 in the morning and I’m having trouble sleeping. Thinking about the great time I’m having travelling but also thinking about what to do when I get back to Melbourne. One of the main reasons for this trip is to clear my head of troubles and plan for the future in a relaxed frame of mind. I’m going through a lot of troubles with my ex-wife. We have recently separated and divorce will be number one on my list of things to do when I get back to Victoria. My two children have to be a major consideration as well. There are also a lot of debts to be worked off.
It was a lazy morning. In the afternoon Trish and Gordon took me out to some saltpans, which was unreal. The mirage that we saw made our cars look like trains crossing the salt flats. Got back about 6:00 in the evening. Cleaned up and had some Barramundi for tea, then off to bed.

June 16, Tuesday.
Another relaxing day on the Five Mile Water Hole didn’t catch any fish though. Got lots of “snags” and saw many crocodiles of all sizes. Even had a Sulphur Crested Galah (a pet bird from the station) spend time with us on the boat. When he eventually flew off to bother somebody else, he had spent an hour with Gordon, Trish and myself. Although we weren’t’ successful catching fish, we had a great day filming. We will be swapping videos of the Gulf Country later when we get back to our respective states; Gordon and Trish live in the town of Toowoomba in Queensland. This station has been a welcome rest from the constant driving. There is a lot more to see in this region.

June 17, Wednesday.
Got up early and joined Trish out at the station airport. We had an appointment with a helicopter pilot that we met the night before at the bar. He invited us along to chase cattle and show us the property from a much lower angle then what we had seen from the plane flight. We went very low over the river, amazing being so low that the trees are above you. He took us across paddocks only feet above the grass then climbed sharply as trees loomed up in front of the helicopter. It only lasted for about 15 minutes but I must of videoed at least ten minutes of those exciting minutes. It was the type of experience that had to be filmed and watched at the same time. With one eye glued to the black and white viewfinder, the other seeing trees and water flash past in colour. The flight finished our stay at Escott on a high note.
Went into Burketown to gather some tucker for the next few days. Headed south to Gregory Downs along a fairly good dirt track with only a couple of bad spots with “bull dust”. I’ve set up camp on the Gregory River about a kilometre from the Gregory Pub, which is the only building of note in the town of Gregory. Weather is great and the car is running well. I’ll be staying at my camp tonight.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb