CRIKEY what a beauty!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
December 21st 2008
Published: December 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left surfers after a days rest and recuperation following the staff shennaigans..free bar seems like such a great idea at the time and then you wake up and realise what a huge mistake it was!!Still fun times had by all and a night in a lovely plush hotel bed with TWO pillows each (that part Matt was most excited about!) was just what the doctor ordered.
Our campsite for the day of death was a lively place in Southport just North of Surfers.. we were astonished when we pulled up to see not only a pool. but a giant jumping pillow(bouncy castle type thing) and then after a few hours napping we decided to call it a night only to be disturbed by the film they showed on a huge screen at full volume.. quite a fancy campsite overall!!

We had a bit of a drive the next day up towards Noosa, and along the Steve Irwin highway to..where else but the Australia Zoo!!
A fab day, the zoo isnt overly large yet but we are told they are expanding it a lot over the next few years..sticking to the late Mr Irwin's 10 year plan. There are many crocs.. obviously.. but they are proper monster sized ones its quite unnerving!! We watched a show in the main auditorium and the 'croc crew' did a bit of a demo with mossman..a huge croc with a bad temper-braver souls than me thats for sure!!

We fed some kangaroos who are free to roam a couple of giant open enclosures.. my personal favourite was a tiny baby roo..naturally i had some competition from other visitors but i think he liked me!! (see photos) we stroke some Koalas, i asked Matt if perhaps we could slip a baby one home with us they were soo cute but we decided someone may notice so we had to move on but had a good giggle at some of the poses they get themselves into up the trees.
We went to explore their Angkor Wat- inspired tiger temples within the recently built South East Asia section and have to say good attempt but nothing like the real thing! Well trained elephants though!! not as good as riding them naturally!!

Womabats were quite cool too, the keepers take them for walks on a lead and you can understand how they would tip a car if you hit one in the wild..they are sturdy compact little things and yet they are really furry and cute too!

Snakes were also a good attraction..although i just had a Steve Irwin style voice in my head the whole time saying..this is the most poisonus snake in the world..lets get closer! got to laugh!

In the central areas of the zoo there are lots of cuttings, photos and memories of the history of the zoo, a kind of mini museum with skeletons and memorabilia and a steve irwin memorial display which was actually quite moving.. its very odd though..from what you saw of him on tv and stuff..you still get 'his' vibe all over the zoo.

After a pretty long day we jumped in the car and continued our journey to hervey bay, our festive destination.




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

FIERCE SNAKEFIERCE SNAKE
FIERCE SNAKE

THE most poisonus in the world..


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb