Kindergarten Lesson


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 30th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Grade: Kindergarten
Standard: SKCS6. Students will understand the important features of the process of scientific inquiry.
Objective: Students will identify scientific tools and ways scientists stay safe.
Materials:
Safety video
Goggles, rubber gloves, lab coats, shoes, rulers (measuring tape), scales, magnifiers
Digital cameras (one per team)
Computer access
Procedure:
1. Show students pictures of measuring, weighing, recording data and looking inside of turtles. Tell students that scientists are collecting information about turtles so that they can help them survive.
Questions:
Does your doctor measure and weigh you? What tools do they use? (scale and measuring tape on wall)
Why do they measure you? (to see if you are growing and how fast)
Do they write down what they find? (yes) Why? (to keep track)
Does your doctor ever look inside of you? (yes, they look in my throat, ears, nose, etc.) Why? (to check if I am sick)
2. Tell students that their doctors are like the scientists in the video - the doctor is helping you stay healthy and survive; the scientists are helping the turtles survive.
3. What are the tools that the scientist and doctors use? Rulers, scales, data recording pages (file the doctor keeps about you), magnifiers (instrument used to look inside your ears, nose and throat).
4. Let students touch and hold the items
5. Show students safety video
6. The video will ask students to identify safety items on a boat - stop the video and let them try to identify safety measure.
7. Resume video
8. Ask students how they stay safe in their life at home.
9. Have teams brainstorm safety in the classroom then share.
10. Show students science safety items: goggles, gloves, wafting with hand to smell instead of directly smelling, no running, lab coat, shoes, dust mask, and following directions.
11. Use a digital camera and show students how to take pictures of each other using scientists’ tools and being safe.
12. Have teams take tool and safety pictures and create a digital class book using Word, PowerPoint, or Movie Maker.
Closure: Share completed book and remind students that science is great fun because you get to use tools to explore the world and nature, however you have to stay safe!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb