Taroom


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
October 26th 2007
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello to everyone, Don the photographer has just arrived back from a four day trip to Taroom, about 5 hours south of Rockhampton inland. Took a bus load of aboriginals, teachers and cook from Woorabinda to Taroom, to teach the children the old ways a good time was held by all. Weather in Mt Morgan is hot and humid, so with any luck we may get some storms out of it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

WaterholeWaterhole
Waterhole

Don took the group each afternoon, for a swim in the local watering hole, I presume it's the local river. The children loved it after a full day of trekking and learning.
GorgeGorge
Gorge

Don took this photo while waiting for the group as they left for a 10klm trek to caves which has aboriginal paintings. Because of his hip, was not able to go with them, so stayed with the coach with one of the elders (aged 85).
Grass Tree StalkGrass Tree Stalk
Grass Tree Stalk

Another photo of the gorge, but you will notice a photo of a Grass Tree Stalk. The stalk was cut down by the aboriginals in the old days, the flower head cut off, and the stalk was used for making spears. John, one of the elders showed Don how they used a particular stone, shaped, then showed him a type of sap or glue they used to attach to the stalk, and then binded with twine. This then became a spear. Should we know call Don a "bushman" ????? The group were also shown what berries etc were edible in the bush.
Information BoardInformation Board
Information Board

Taken by Don near where the Gorge is. A bit of information for you. Back in the early 1900's this was originally where the group's ancestors from Woorabinda lived, but the Government moved them because a Dam was going to be put in. Nothing happened about the Dam, in the 1980's more talk of a dam, it it now 2007, and guess what, still no Dam.
Group PhotoGroup Photo
Group Photo

This photo taken by Don of the wonderful group he took to Taroom. The "white" gentleman in the group is a school teacher from Woorabinda, he followed the bus with his 4wd with his wife and baby. The cook was a woman called Rosa, from New Zealand. The group camped at the CWA hall in the showgrounds of Taroom, Donald, was booked in at the local motel.
Aboriginal CemeteryAboriginal Cemetery
Aboriginal Cemetery

Don took the group to a cattle station not far from Taroom, when he bought the station??? about 6,000acres, he was going through some old papers left in the homestead and found that there were two aboriginal cemeteries on his land, apparently these people died of Spanish Influenza many years ago, he has since set up a plague naming all the dead. Aboriginals are always welcome to visit these sites.
CoorobooreeCoorobooree
Coorobooree

The last night before heading back to Woorabinda, the group did a coorobooree for special invited guests. Earlier in the day, John an elder, showed Don where to find ochre, which they use for their body painting. From Crocodile man to Bush man!!!!!!!


26th October 2007

wonderful
Wow what an wonderful experience to go out with the indigenous people.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb