Rotary Lookout and Little Crystal Creek


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
August 8th 2021
Published: August 11th 2021
Edit Blog Post

At the top of Mt Stuart there is a cluster of communication towers and a lookout providing a very good view of the city. The 9km road in and up is steep, narrow and very windy, but sealed all the way. Once at the top we were afforded a simply stunning panorama of Townsville, the mountains and out to sea. We knew it to be a large city, but we were amazed at just how large it actually is. It was a little hazy as we wandered around the loop walk but we could still appreciate it all. Definitely a WWAL (well worth a look).



Between Townsville and Ingham to the north lies the PalumaRange– the gateway to the Wet Tropics Heritage Area. It was a reasonable one hour drive to Little Crystal Creek 75km away. Set in amongst the forest, part way along Mt Spec Road, pristine waterfalls tumble over large granite boulders, forming perfectly clear freshwater rock pools. Arching over the waterway is a beautiful heritage listed stone bridge with a 18.5m (60 feet) span that was constructed in 1932 – it is a very popular spot for tourists and locals alike. The cascading water was running fast today, so we can only imagine its power and roar during a heavy rain period.



Despite the temperatures still be around 25o – 27o we chose to light our little campfire each night – apart from the ambiance the smoke and flame seemed to keep the midgies away, annoying little things they are.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb