Mt Isa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 13th 2021
Published: July 18th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Between Boulia and Mt Isa there is 300km of single lane road, with very few overtaking opportunities. Travelling at a comfortable speed it took about 4 ½ hrs stopping for a lunch break at the very small town ofDajarra – in fact, it is the only town in between and located roughly half way in the trip.



The road was sealed all the way with wide gravel edges which were soft, but good enough to pull two wheels on when approached by oncoming traffic and that was reasonably heavy. Most people slowed down enough that no gravel flew up but one idiot (a person of doubtful parentage) was going so fast he threw a big rock up that caught us. We could see it coming it was that big, so we just prayed and waited for the impact. Fortunately it missed the windscreen but Mara The Sahara now has a decent scar on her roof passenger side.



We have booked into a caravan park “Argylla” for 7 nights – it is like an oasis after 4 weeks of free camping – we have grass, we have power and we have gas having filled both bottles at reception. Bliss!



There is a very large and lovely Tourist Info Centre in Mt Isa and after a browse of what is on offer here we booked a couple of guided tours to be done over a couple of days – Riversleigh Fossil Discovery Centre and the Hard Times Underground Mine tour, both of which are actually located within the modern complex.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb