Charleville


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
June 22nd 2021
Published: June 23rd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Charleville is the heart of the mulga lands on the banks of the WaregoRiver. The timber of the mulga tree is extremely poisonous and if you happen to get a splinter but fail to remove all of that splinter you are guaranteed to get blood poisoning. Mental note to self – be extremely careful as to what timber you pick up for campfires!



The Mitchell Highway(also known as the Matilda Way) brought us north from Wyandra. We pulled into a bush camp just outside of Charleville township. It is run by CMCA (Campervan & Motorhome Club of Australia). As members it cost us $6/night. We have booked in for 2 nights, but having been to the Tourist Info Centre to gather brochures etc we may extend that to 3 nights so that we can enjoy a few more of the local attractions in the next day or so. We shall wait and see.



We have booked for 2 tours for Wednesday – a Bilby experience and a tag along tour of the “Top Secret WWII” airforce base.



Happy hour tonight started at 4:30 (!!) around the fire pit. At 5pm we were joined by a guest speaker – the President of the local Men’s Shed who was also one of the first responders to the 2014 Angellala Bridge Explosion. He had put together a basic diorama to recreate the events of that dreadful event in September 2014. The explosion involved a single truck laden with 52.8 tonnes of ammonium nitrate (one of the components mining companies use in their detonations). The explosion was equivalent to 10-15 tonnes of TNT and measured 2.1 on the Richter scale and was felt by the people of Charleville 30kms away. Miraculously 8 people were injured but there were no fatalities.



no photos today!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb