Into the Lava Tubes


Advertisement
Published: August 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Undara Lava Tubes are only 190,000 years old – the result of the Undara volcano explosion. The lava ran for 160kms from the volcano across the plains. The tubes were created by the lava getting stuck in a river valley, and the upper lava hardened quicker than that which flowed below, essentially creating a tube. Undara Lava tubes are the longest in the world, and youngest (one of only 20 known lava tubes). The boys were enthralled with the information our tour guide provided.

The great thing about the tour was there was only 9 of us on the ‘Active’ tour. With such a small group, the guide decided that we’d have time to explore a couple of extra tubes. We scrambled over logs and down into the ground. We saw these micro-bats and all sorts of geological finds. All up we went into 4 lava tubes and climbed some granite bluffs.
Was fantastic – would recommend going to Undara Experience.

Upon return to the park, I spent the next 2 hours finding a new door handle (in Cairns), and then arranging for it to be couriered to our next destination – Karumba Point. Let’s hope it arrives before we leave on Friday.

The rest of the day was a blur, sitting by the pool, kids doing homework, cooking dinner (chick pea ratatouille), and sitting by the campfire with our caravan neighbours solving the world's issues.

Song of the Day: Coming Out of the Dark by Gloria Estefan

New Game : So what are we walking on ? Answer : Bat Guano


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb