Christmas in the Sun!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Townsville
December 26th 2011
Published: January 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hours driving in one day


We spent Christmas eve travelling between Hervey Bay and Townsville. This was a 1000 kilometre drive that took us 14 hours! We left early and in the heat of the middle of the day, got very hot in the car. We kept the windows open in an attempt to cool ourselves and left the air con off to try to save fuel but also because it came our like a mouse blowing through a straw!

After that drive we said we would never subject ourselves to that kind of drive again!

We got to Townsville around 9pm at night. The hostel reception was closed, but as I had called ahead en-route, they left a key in the safe box outside. We had a small double room and found our melted butter and cheese to be no good!

The next morning, Christmas morning, we woke to 30 degree heat, how strange! It seems that Australia doesn't have the Christmas spirit that we have back home. Maybe it's the heat and the summer holiday for the schools, but the streets were not decorated, we hardly saw any Christmas trees and only a few Santa hats, mainly by people travelling!
Merry ChristmasMerry ChristmasMerry Christmas

Spend the day on Townsville beach!

Townsville has an amazing beach, the only problem at that time of year are the jellyfish. There are areas for swimming patrolled by lifeguards and nets, buts not the same as being able to swim where you want.

We spent Christmas day on the beach in 34 degree heat. We swam in the warm water and ate Nachos and potatoes wedges for lunch at a small cafe on the beach front. It was the strangest of feelings, it didn't feel like Christmas, more like a summer holiday!

We only spent two nights in Townsville as Cairns was only a three hour drive North.

We made a move boxing day morning.
This Christmas we missed out on the breakfast ham, turkey roast dinner and Christmas pudding. We missed out on presents, Christmas trees and decorations, but, we can now say we have spent a Christmas at the beach and in the sun. Its funny how much you miss family and home when you are away at a time like that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

DonDon
Don

Warnings all around the beaches saying do not enter the water unless in a protected area that is monitored by lifeguards.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb