A fair dinkum time in St Lawrence!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » St Lawrence
March 26th 2011
Published: March 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Airlie Beach - Bundaberg!


We woke up bright and early to the noise of dogs barking and chickens buuuuuuuuucking - since we were on a farmers land we thought it was best to make a sharp exit!

We had in mind to go to this little beauty of a spot called St Lawrence where there is a large free camping reserve. After heading down the highway for another three hours we finally arrived at our destination and right away we really liked it as it seemed pretty secluded and ‘outbackish’ (but also had hot showers for $1!!). Since it was a sunny Saturday ‘avo’, as the locals say, we spent the day as typical Aussies sparking up a barbie and cracking open some cans of Gold Victoria Bitter. Now this really is the life!

After having a fair dinkum time and enjoying our tucker, we plucked up the courage to take a stroll into the village of St Lawrence to check out the local pub. It is always a bit of an experience walking around in the bush when it’s pitch black and the amount of frogs and bugs that we had to avoid yet again on our way to the pub was incredible!

Once we reached the local boozer there was only about 4 or 5 locals in it, so we ordered some schooners and propped ourselves up at the bar. We got talking to an older couple of Aussie travelers who weren’t shy on giving us a tip or two. Then we spent the rest of the night chatting away to the barman who was a top bloke and was not short of some words of wisdom! He seemed pretty chuffed when we asked for a photo of him when we were leaving. It was different to a typical night out back home but we really enjoyed our night just chatting away with the locals.

The next day we hit the road for what seemed like an eternity – field after field for a total of 9 hours! We passed through Rockhampton and Gladstone stopping off to cook up some grub on the way. After a couple of crisis moments thinking we were about to run out of petrol we finally made it in to Bundaberg where we pitched up for the next 2 nights. It was a bit of a flying visit in Bundaberg, trying to catch up with people back home aswell as looking for jobs! ‘Bundy’ seems like a traditional little Aussie town, and it’s crammed with lots of backpackers staying here to work in the fields that surround the town.

We've had a brilliant couple of weeks in Queensland but we are really excited about our next stop – Brisbane and the Gold Coast!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb