Mount Morgan Mine Trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rockhampton
June 24th 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, another day trip for Don yesterday, school children from Rockhampton visited Mount Morgan Mine itself. There is a daily visit available in Mt Morgan, I had been holding off going on it, but now that Brownie has seen it already, I shall have to go on the tour myself. The mine itself closed in 1989, but hopefully later this year, it is going to be re-opened, apparently there is still plenty of gold in them there hills!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Old mining equipmentOld mining equipment
Old mining equipment

Photo of some of the mining equipment used in the old days.
LakeLake
Lake

This lake where water runoff from the mine, very deep, poisonous etc,
QuartzQuartz
Quartz

The lump of quartz is an example of how the gold is extracted from the quartz.
TunnelTunnel
Tunnel

Photo of one of the many tunnels within the mine.
scale modelscale model
scale model

This is the scale model of the mine itself, the museum also contains old equipment used, rocks, history etc.
smoke stacksmoke stack
smoke stack

The smoke stack visible for miles around Mount Morgan.
mine entrancemine entrance
mine entrance

The school children entering the mine tunnel.
Terradactle??Terradactle??
Terradactle??

Dinosaur footprints on the roof of the tunnels, I think I spelt it wrongly, never mind, you know what I mean.
more of the lakemore of the lake
more of the lake

As you can see, the lake stretches for quite a distance, the new mining company are thinking of sifting the water for gold tailings as well.
Mine trainMine train
Mine train

The next stop was the railway museum, this steam train was used to pull out the ore from the mine. (the train is in perfect condition and working)
TrainTrain
Train

There was a railway line from Mt Morgan to Rockhampton and Gladstone,, it also closed in 1989. This train was one of the trains used and is still in working condition.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb