Horses and Dolphins


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rockhampton
July 12th 2007
Published: February 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dolphins go Crazy for Fish!Dolphins go Crazy for Fish!Dolphins go Crazy for Fish!

Feeding the dolphins in Tin Can Bay.
Our sadness at leaving Fraser Island was repressed slightly by an early morning visit to Tin Can Bay the following morning, our reason for coming; dolphins. This place is a gem, for now, as around 8am every morning a small crowd gathers by the shore, as volunteers introduce the act, and fishermen watch on bemused by the whole event. Tempted by fish, and surely the attention, a pod of dolphins, swim into the bay and happily roll in the water, and take the free food straight from your hands. The volunteer group don’t charge, provide the fish and are happy for repeat visits! Quite wonderful stuff.

Our hunt for fruit picking work saw us, unsuccessfully enquire in the small township of Childers. There was nothing around after bad droughts earlier in the year, and further enquiries presented little hope of finding anything else further up the coast. As our plans had changed, we continued a further 300km north to Rockhampton. ‘The Rock’ promotes itself as a steak town, and we expected cowboys strutting around, so were a little disappointed to find a regular town with supermarkets and all the other trappings of city life. We were impressed by crocodile warning signs right on the river we were sleeping next to though! The Rockhampton Heritage Village was also an inspired stop, as it’s a delightful little project, where we were driven around in a 1920’s car observing various ways of life throughout the years. We ventured on to the uninspiring town of Mackay, then out into sugar cane country, which was truly fascinating, and took a worthwhile stop at Kinchant Dam. Heading further off the beaten track we had Bob, driving across river beds, and down tracks more akin for a rally car. That night we ended up in a utterly unique camp site, on a hillbilly’s land, where we were the only guests, and feared for our lives! Setting up a campfire we cooked fish I had caught the night before, and enjoyed the wild life. Inspired by the fresh forest air the next morning, we made our way to Stony Creek Farmstay, and booked onto a horse ride the next morning. Led by Roy, our horse ride was interesting, but very painful, our chances of children have surely been reduced by this battering! As Roy cried “kick him harder, or he’ll laugh at you”, I did and my horse developed a canter, thus inflicting more pain on my little soldiers than I ever could have imagined. I was quite glad when it was all over. Our few day’s inland had been interesting but it was time to return to the coast as we made our way to Airlie Beach; gateway to the Whitsundays.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Taking the PlungeTaking the Plunge
Taking the Plunge

Diving in Eungella Nat Park.
Picnic at Kinchant DamPicnic at Kinchant Dam
Picnic at Kinchant Dam

So peaceful and quiet.
Country Life Country Life
Country Life

A quiet road near Kinchant Dam.
BEWARE OF THE CROCS!BEWARE OF THE CROCS!
BEWARE OF THE CROCS!

A warning at our Rockhampton campsite!
Steak Cookin in The Rock!Steak Cookin in The Rock!
Steak Cookin in The Rock!

Tiem cooking one of Rockhampton's famous steaks!
3 Little Pigs!3 Little Pigs!
3 Little Pigs!

At Rockhampton Heritage Village.
Sugar Cane ProductionSugar Cane Production
Sugar Cane Production

Around Rockhampton.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb