Rainbow Beach/Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rainbow Beach
October 31st 2012
Published: October 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

So after getting on another bus that we had to pay for we arrived 4 hours later in Rainbow Beach at a hostel named Dingo's, straight away we put our stuff in our rooms which we were sharing with two irish girls who had already been to Fraser Island (the reason people go to rainbow beach as you get a short ferry over to it) and two other girls who were on our trip, Little Laura from Essex and Elizabeth a French-Canadian who were both absolute diamonds.....that night they showed why by cooking for pat & myself with us having to do nothing, it was brilliant. Later that night we all went for drinks in the bar which had games on to win more alcohol, so we obviously took part in every game as a dorm to get more free booze, we got 4 out of the 5 games and were very drunk by this point. Later that night I got talking to two lads that worked there, one on bar the other at the travel shop which turned into a bit of a smoke sesh with them.....don't remember much after this point.
The following day we all went to the beach with more recruits that were going on our trip soaking up the sunshine, one of friends had a free surf lesson involved in his package, Jens from Sweden, however not enough people turned up so they just gave him a board and sent him on his way, he struggled for the first hour but after that he was standing and riding waves, was sick to see. We spent the rest of the day getting to know everyone that was going to be with us for the next 3 days. That night we all hit the bar to find out which cars we were going to be in as the trip itself was a self-drive tour with one tour guide, 32 backpackers, 3 day's and 2 nights camping; I couldn't have thought of anything better. Anyway pat & myself were in a group together which was a touch unfortunately we weren't with the two girls that cooked for us or the others we had got to know (Jens a fucking well pretty boy from Sweden, Sam & Evo a couple from Maidstone, Abby & Dean, a couple who met travelling 5 months ago, from S.Ldn and Dover) but we knew we would all be staying together and seeing one and other everyday, the group were soley for the cooking arrangements and the first day of driving. Our group consisted of 6 girls......at this point I was smiling, and it just got better and better when we went on the actual tour, just like Laura & Elizabeth, these girls wanted to cook for us and mother us.
The next morning once we had risen from our pits at stupid o'clock we had a meeting with our tour guid, Hayden (LOOSE GUY), who ran us through the do's & don'ts such things as putting all food away and anything that smells nice in the car so the dingo's aren't attracted to your tent or anything. Once the boring stuff was out of the way we were allowed to hop in the car's, 8 seater Toyota Land Cruiser's, basically indestructable cars. We were itching to have a go first but we decided to let one of the girls go first just to test the water, and to be honest there was no complaints from us, I was DJ in the front, then our first stop was making lunch in a park before we got to the first fresh water lake that was by our camp, where Pat then hopped in the driving seat and after seeing how much fun he was having I just couldn't resist but jump in after we had been to the lake (which by the way was amazing, fresh water, you could drink it unreal shit). The actual driving of the car was the most fun I've probably had driving any car, you can rev the shit out of it and it just keeps climbing and climbing, if anyone of you plan to come to Aus this is a must do!
Once we had made our way to camp it was time for dinner, which meant for Pat & myself that we were able to start drinking whilst these older girls/women cooked for us, so off we went socialising, drinking to return to our food served up for us, the first night was quite reserved to be fair (I'm only saying this because the second night was so crazy, but I'll get to that) everyone went off to bed around 1ish after we had sat round the camp fire whilst Jens played the Ukuele to us all which was really good, doing songs such as Mumford & sons and Jason Mraz, it's a bit different out here especially on the trips as you start drinking so early like 5/6 everyone is fucked by the time it's 12 mainly due to not drinking enough water, the sun and the GOON (Cheap boxed wine that fucks your shit up so bad it's good!).
The next day we were up at 7am cooking breakfast (well not us but the girls were cooking for us again), we headed over to a rock pool named hangover creek, it seemed to do the job everyone was feeling pretty fresh after this, we then treked up to viewpoint in hope of seeing some whales, sharks or dolphins, however we could only see a coupel of Manta-rays. Hayden then took us to see a dead whale that had been washed up, it stank but it was cool to see the ratio of size, a 3 month old whale was like 15 of us, as we took a stroll back to the cars Hayden said he would be taking us to a fresh water stream that you could lay in and the current would take you around, this was pretty cool, but after being to a fair few lakes I went and chilled on the beach with Elizabeth, Abby, Dean & two Irish lads (Conn & Emmett, fucking crazy Irish chaps) with a few beers, as this massive thing jumped out the sea in front of us........a huge whale, when I get the video for you all it really is something special that something of that size can launch itself out of the sea that high! Everyone ran over to catch a glimpse of the whale.
Obviously this was the 2nd day of our trip which meant two things, firstly this was our last night, but more importantly Pat's 22nd birthday! Celebrations were in order, and we didn't skimp just because we weren't on mainland, we made him neck goon bags held up in the air (Just like wine bags out of the box) whilst singing to him, and Evo the lad from maidstone spread around the whole campsite (128 people) that there was a party tonight, we had this hut that you could plug an iPod into......perfect. Atround 80-100 people actually turned up, it was crazy but such a good time, Pat was very drunk, slurring his every word and falling all over the shop.
On our final day we visited an old wreck of a ship that had been washed up due to a big storm, to be fair it was rather boring as it had gone beyond the point of being able to walking around it or get really close due to its lack of stability so I just made you all read a useless sentence....not the first or the last.
We began to make our trip back to Rainbow beach and just as we were waiting for the ferry to get us and take us over 5 Dolphins came really close to the edge of the beach, this was so cool to see hope they are in there natural habitat. Once we got back everyone got together for one last night back at Dingo's the hostel, the girls cooked for us again, it was like being back home for us, all this mothering was brilliant, that night being the last with this great group of 32 people you can imagine shit got out of hand, especially me, pat, the irish lads and girls, as well as having a smoke. The next day we were travelling with the two original girls Laura & Elizabeth however our bus wasn't till the evening, they were going to 1770 to chill out for a few days, which was a 5 hour bus journey whilst we were heading further up the coast to Airlie Beach (Whitsundays), a 12 hour trek...................

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb