Drain tree Rain Forest


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
March 30th 2015
Published: March 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Rose at 5:30 this morning for a sunrise walk on the 4 Mile beach, right behind the Temple Spa Hotel. After breakfast back on the coach for a trip to the Daintree Rain Forest, the oldest documented rain forest in the world. Passed field after field of sugar cane. Australia is a big exporter of sugar cane, no high fructose corn syrup here. Bet my daughter and family would love that. Went to a private tour, owner has been there over 25 years and they have 140 acres or more. Her place has both tropical and semi- tropical areas. Louise, our guide, said she wanted to see a cassowary, one of the oldest flightless birds. The one who found us was about 5 ft tall, a male, with a hollow hard crest on his head, a bright blue ring around his neck and a long turkey-like wattle hanging down his chest. He is part of the Big Bertha harem, one of eight husbands whose job is to stay in his specific territory, impregnate Bertha and hatch and raise the babies for 18 months before setting them free. He kind of looks like an emu, but larger. From what we heard about Bertha she is about a foot taller and much wider. Anyway, while our guide was talking about the rainforest and how cyclones help cull out the canopy so smaller trees and plants can grow, a cassowary showed up. Things were fine for awhile until he noticed we were there and started toward us. Guide moved us along saying we did not want to tangle with one because they can get very aggressive when upset. Not only are they aggressive, but they have claws like raptors. We slowly walked down the path away from there, but when we looked back he was following. We began to believe he was following Gorgio because he was wearing blue and the bird liked blue food. He finally turned turned off about two hundred feet down the path. Louise said she was kind of worried because usually cassawaries are skittish and this one was very bold. We also got to see a bird poop spider. Actually looks like bird poop until it begins to move. We got to eat a mangosteen and something like a lychee with a spikier shell. Then off for tea grown in the forest. Next on our list was a crocodile river cruise. Long hot cruise with the sighting of only one small female. Wrong time of year to see them, which did not bother me much,but the water is too warm. Still we were warned not to swim in the ocean near our hotel, saltwater crocs might be swimming just off shore looking for fresh water streams and girls. After a nice lunch back in the forest we headed out for organic ice cream made from local fruits. Only issue was had to buy their deal of the day, four different scoops in a cup.We had wattle seed (kind of like mocha), raspberry, passion fruit and jack fruit, vey interesting flavors. Quick trip back to hotel, dip in the pool, then a lovely dinner of chicken and smoked bacon linguini. Off to pack. Sydney tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0923s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb