Great Barrier Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
July 3rd 2006
Published: July 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

So, finally, after all the days of storms, the winds drop enough, and the sun comes out, and we make it to the Great Barrier Reef. After all the waiting, there's an awful feeling it must be an anticlimax, particularly when we arrive after a one and a quarter hour boat trip feeling somewhat seasick (good thing we didn't travel when the sea was supposed to be rough).

Once in the water, there is no sense of anticlimax. The coral and the fish are fantastic - and yes, we did find Nemo! They are luminous in the sunlight, and more varieties than you can imagine. Even when you've been over the same spot for 2 hours, you are still seeing a new type of fish or coral every minute. The squid are scary though - they look like metallic James Bond mini submarines coming to get you. (Still, Loz and I ate calamari the next day, so I suppose we really had the upper hand).

The triumphs of the day were from Lauren - who did her introductory scuba dive. She was really good: didn't get down the first time because she couldn't pop her ears: but went staight back down and had a great time: and Polly, who decided she wouldn't just stick to the glass bottom boat, but snorkelled quite happily all afternoon.

The next big event is the arrival of Marianne and Marcus (doubt that will be an anticlimax). Having just finally recovered from jet lag, feel sorry for them up in the air over Singapore (but not that sorry).

Advertisement



3rd July 2006

Hey you guys, it's me again! I'm feeling really jealous right now, I hope you've taken lots and lots of photos, because the Barrier Reef is supposed to be AMAZING!! I love calamari - was it tasty? I'm sitting in my history lesson right now, agonising over coursework... although probably you aren't on a beach right now, you'd be asleep, like any other sensible person at four in the morning. Is there any way you can upload photos onto this blog? If you need somewhere to host them, www. photobucket.com is free and v useful. We want to see your pictures! Oh, am also v jealous about scuba as have been diving for 3 years and still haven't got into open water yet. Hope you all had fun! Say hi to the others when they arrive for me! Bethx P.S. Can you say which one of you is typing up the blog? It was a bit obvious for Polly's entry, but for the rest of the time it's a bit of a guessing game!
4th July 2006

Our Flight
We have been perfectly fine, enjoying great films and tv, and actually in relative comfort as the seat next to me was empty the whole way to Sydney. We are just in the lounge here at sydney, but we will soon boarding the final leg of our journey to see you lot. Hope everything is good, see you in about 4 hours. Lots of love!
4th July 2006

CJ
Gad Colonel it's dam hot here. Pass me another banana daiquiri then. The squatters are very happy. We're renting the cars out at a fiver a day. Lots of love US

Tot: 0.03s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0149s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1016kb