Christmas at Port Douglas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
December 20th 2007
Published: January 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a few days on the Sunshine Coast we headed up north to the tropics.....crossing everything and hoping that it wouldn't rain (or cyclone). We had fantastic weather for the entire week - rainy season started in full earnest on the day we headed south - very lucky.

We didn't miss the beach at Port Douglas (it's not that nice and it's far too dangerous) We had a pool at our rented house and we had amazing days out. Port Douglas is great. A really relaxed town with good shopping and eating - always important to me! There's just a really pleasant atmosphere and the people are very friendly. I hope this doesn't change too much during peak season as it was quiet during our visit.

Christmas in the sun is very different but we had a lovely day. The Marks family plus me spent the day with my uncle Gwyn, my cousin Nerys, her partner Scott and baby Lucas. In many ways it was like Christmas at home, presents,booze and more food than you can shake a stick at.

Next Stop - Freshwater Beach.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

View from the micro -lightView from the micro -light
View from the micro -light

Dean and Kevin took a ride in a type of mechanical glider over Port Douglas. Nutters - but amazing views - this one was taen by Dean of Kevin.
Pieces of 8Pieces of 8
Pieces of 8

Jill, Matthew and I headed for breakfast with the birds on Christmas Eve at a nearby wildlife centre. Some of the parrots were very friendly....some not so nice. One swept down and nicked my toast!
Breakfast with the birdsBreakfast with the birds
Breakfast with the birds

Matthew and Jill - sometimes we were surrounded by birds....we were told not to feed them but this was easier said than done as the birds just stole the food!
Matthew steering yet another boatMatthew steering yet another boat
Matthew steering yet another boat

The men hired out a small boat to go river fishing. The caught nothing but later had fun at my expense telling me that Matthew went for a swim in the croc infested river! (of course he didn't - but they had me going)
Not a Brussel sprout in sightNot a Brussel sprout in sight
Not a Brussel sprout in sight

Matthew was in charge of the BBQ Christmas dinner (with a bit of help from Scott)
Nerys cooling down in the pool on Xmas dayNerys cooling down in the pool on Xmas day
Nerys cooling down in the pool on Xmas day

Yes - she is fully dressed and she didn't have much say in having a swim thanks to Scott and Dean!


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb