Jourama Falls - a bush adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Paluma National Park
August 8th 2011
Published: August 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we departed from the beautiful Rollingstone Beach for an adventure in the bush. We hadn’t taken our caravan off the grid before, and wondered how the family would handle a night without power.

Our adventure started in the Paluma Range National Park, in the ranges behind the mango plantations of the coastal plains. Before we climbed into the ranges, we treated ourselves to sweet treats at the world famous ‘Frosty Mango’. And yes, the mango ice cream was delicious.

The road into Jourama Falls included 2 creek crossings and we set up camp in the corner of the campsite. We ventured forth into the walking tracks to see what wonders awaited.

Similar to Carnarvon Gorge, the track wound and criss-crossed across the creek bed. We climbed up the hillside and were rewarded with a view of Jourama Falls. Jourama Falls differ to most waterfalls as they don’t drop from a great height into a large pool below. Instead they cascade through a watercourse zigzagging their way down the canyon walls into the rock pools below. The Ulysses butterfly with it’s colours of radiant blue could be seen as it fluttered it’s way from the falls past the rock pools and into the rainforest. We also spied a red breasted finch, and a yellow bellied small bird flitting from tree to tree, chirping their songs. We also spied a turtle sunning itself on a rock after a dip in the pools.Katrina also took a dip in the pools to cool off.

Back at the caravan, we did some homework, including a jazz history lesson for Anthony. We even dug out the cornet for some much needed practice.

Exhausted from our walk, from the ordeal of cooking dinner (it takes much longer without power), and watching the rangers start a controlled burn off (on the other side of the creek), we all headed to bed early (7pm).

Song of the day : Walking in the Bush

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb