Red Dust and gorgeous Gorges


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mount Isa
August 22nd 2013
Published: August 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Heaps of highlights in the last week. Lawn Hill NP out woop woop way west .

Travelled still on the Savannah way towards Burketown. Tiny little comunity, not even a Pub that says it all and joined their community festival which was an insight to how things are done out here.

A dirt road corrugated dusty speckled with roadtrains and then there we were. magnificant Lawn Hill Gorge opens up with tourquise blue green water just waiting to be dived into. So dive we did and paddle we did under the nearly full moon. The freshwater crocs where looking on and seemed at peace with us, the fish where zig zagging around us. In the heat of the day the water was the best place to be.

The hikes early in the morning and late afternoon brought out the dark red colours of the Gorge and the Aboriginal paintings where so so special.

Time stands somewhat to attention out here no doubt about it and time stood still for us beside we had to celebrate Goffs birthday.

From Lawn Hill we crossed the Gregory River, finally a bit of water on the road, knee deep and hopped along the dirt road towards Mount Isa. On the way there is Riversleigh WHS where there is lots of fossil stuff in rocks from millions of years ago when animals where bigger than planes it seems.

Arrived in one piece and getting a few minor things done on camper. Fridge is getting checked here and .....we had a nearly flat tyre probably from some dippy rock along the roads. Also lost a little attachment for our watre tank 😊

Still loving it, still doing it

Hope you are too


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



25th August 2013

Fun
It all looks great fun! So glad you are having a good time.
25th August 2013
Thats the one and only

Lawn Hill
I enjoyed reading your blog and rated the gorge picture with reflections as a 4/5. It may show up in great photos in a day or so. Cheers Marg and Rob

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb