Grant and Rae's Oz Trip Feb/Mar 2014


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mareeba
March 10th 2014
Published: March 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up at 3.50.......now 14.30.......might have to head down to pool for a snooze, and a swim of course!

More than one novel experience this morning.........started this blog on the bus, which was obviously Wifi zone.........and had our first balloon flight. Picked up at 4.20 as promised.....a few other sleepy people on the bus........we made our way up to Mareeba in the Tablelands......got there at 5.40'ish, meeting the bus from Cairns there - 14 of us in total. We were doing the 60 min flight which was in reality 2 30 min flights. Lots of mosquitos around but the bus driver had a spray......had to walk, in the dark, through long wet grass........but it was well worth it in the end! Again the weather was very kind.......warm, even at that time, a bit cloudy......and there was very little wind. It was a very smooth flight, providing some great views of Mareeba and the surrounding area. Serene, tranquil........and a very smooth landing both times. Seems to me that you need to be very skilled to manoeuvre 400 kgs of balloon around. Saw lots of wallabies runing around on the ground. Once landed, though, the hard work started............we were asked if wanted to help pack up the balloon - quite an exercise! But we got there in the end. Had a well-earned hot chocolate on the way back.

Went back via Cairns and saw the Kuranda Skyrail.......don't have time for that this visit!

Foolishly, as it was so early (before 10), I went a for a run around Port Douglas and Rae went to the gym.......since then it has been pool/snooze time, despite a few spits of rain.

Off to the Bel Cibo in Port Douglas tonight to have dinner with Sue and Mick.

Tomorrow Mossman Gorge, Cape Tribulation and Daintree National Park.

Pics are balloon start up, "opposition" balloon, Rae, view from balloon, reflection in a dam and packing the balloon away........and a great "weather board" we saw in Mareeba.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb