Flies everywhere!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
November 11th 2011
Published: November 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well we've all made it to Oz safe and sound (although Rachel has sprained her ankle! We're hoping this is the last of her injuries as she has had quite a few whilst we've been away!) As I'm writing this I'm currently on Magnetic Island which is a little Island about 20 minutes ferry ride away from Townsville. It's a lovely little Island but there are massive flies everywhere! If they were just normal flies it wouldn't be so bad but these flies bite you and they are so bloody annoying! They are only here for like 2 weeks of the year apparently as well so it's typical that we've picked this time to come!

When we arrived in Oz we landed in Cairns and were originally planning on staying there for 5 days but we liked it so much and met so many great people that we ended up staying a bit longer. Unfortunately we didn't end up actually doing that much in the day in Cairns as we spent all of our evenings getting drunk at the hostel with everyone! We've been introduced to goon which is basically just a big 4 litre box of wine thats really cheap so I think we'll be living off that for the next 2 months! We did manage to make it out to the Great Barrier reef one day though for a day of snorkelling which was really good, we saw millions of fish and we rented an underwater camera as well so had fun trying to get pictures of them all. I was really disapointed not to see a giant turle though as a guy in our hostel kept bragging to me how he got to swim alongside a turtle when he went snorkelling!

After our time in Cairns we got the night bus up to townsville so we could save money on accomodation for that night but it did mean we arrived in Townsville at 6 in the morning tired, hungry and hungover! We found a hostel when we got there but that didn't open until 8 so we just collapsed on the pavement for 2 hours. Townsville was a lot quiter than Cairns and there didn't seem a great deal to do but we were only there for 1 night before getting the ferry across to magnetic island.

The hostel we are staying at here in magnetic island is right on the beach which is pretty cool and they have a good bar that has something different happening each night. On the night we arrived it was ladies night so all the girls got free punch and so did any guys that dressed up like girls. A guy we met in Cairns has travelled with us down to magnetic island so we dressed him up in Emilys wonder woman bikini and put loads of make up on him! It was definately worth it as they did a competition at the end to see who the best drag queen was and he won so we got a $50 bar tab for free, wahoo!

Yesterday we decided to go to the wildlife sanctuary they have here and we got to hold koala bears, snakes, lizards, birds and crocodiles which was really good. I got a little cuddle with the koala bear and got my picture taken so I have a nice cheesy souvenir to bring home. The only downside was that I got shat on by the koala bear and a bird!

We're leaving magnetic Island today and going back to Townsville so we can get the bus up to Airlee Beach. Once we get there me and rachel are hoping to get a cheap deal to go sailing on the Whitsunday Islands so we're really looking forward to that. I've really enjoyed Magnetic Island but I am definately looking forward to leaving these flies behind!

Hope everyone at home is ok and I'll be thinking of you all over the next few weeks as it gets colder and colder over there and it just keeps getting hotter and hotter over here!!!

Take care everyone xxxx



Advertisement



24th May 2012

hey guys, please get behind us (not literally) and suport our endevour to enjoy schoolies to its greatest potential. We will post photos, stories and our accomplishment to the site at www.GoFundMe.com or our personal page at http://www.gofundme.com/ol8xg :)

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb