Mackay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mackay
December 1st 2015
Published: December 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Monday 1 December

We didn't leave the room again last night and had sandwiches and fruit from our provisions.

Another good nights sleep, but woke early.

The objective today was to put some miles on the clock and get a little nearer to Brisbane.

We readied and packed stuff and took everything down to the car. Out of the underground car park and round to the front. Walked up to reception and checked out. Two nights AUS$ 181.

9 am 30℃ and on the road. We found our way out of Townsville easily and we were on the A1 Bruce highway for most of the day.

We alternated driving today, changing roughly hourly. Our stop for lunch was going to be Bowen and we arrived at 11.45 am. This is also about halfway.

We drove down the main street and parked. Just near where we parked on a side road was a barbers, so we took a chance. A guy was just leaving as we arrived and I stepped straight into the chair. I had a buzz cut, grade 1, 3mm, AUS$19.50, so now I have no hair, magic. Of course a good chat was had with the barber.

Then off for some food. We saw a hotel (pub) called Central hotel with food advertised. Speaking with the barber there did not seem to be many options, so we went for it.

Pat ordered a chicken wrap with chips and I had a Thai beef salad. With 2 coke zeros was AUS$28.20.

The food was fine and after esting took a quick look at the main street and the back to the car.

Some petrol from a shell garge as we left and on our way at 1.10 pm.

Then more driving through sugar cane, forests and plenty of cattle and horses.

We arrived at Mackay at 3.30 pm and found our motel, now called The Rose and checked in. No wifi in the rooms is a real bummer, and not what is advertised. Wifi is available in all areas - no it isn't...

We listened to the radio in the car for a short while this morning, we don't usually, and I heard someone say “It's the first of December, so it's officially summer” - that just sounds so wrong!

384 kilometres today.

At 6 pm we went to the motel restaurant to use the internet and have some food. A simple menu, homecooked style food. I had bangers and mash snd Pat had Lasagne and chips.

Lots of working type guys staying in the place.

We watched television for a change and saw 50 shades of grey. Then went to sleep about 9.30 pm.

Tuesday 2 December

An early wake about 6 am, the workers were on the move, so noise.

Then off for some breakfast.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.618s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb