2 nights at Clairview then on to Gympie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mackay
May 21st 2006
Published: June 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Glass MountainsGlass MountainsGlass Mountains

There panoramic view from the top of Wild Horse Mountain Lookout was well worth the walk, these are the Glass Mountains, looking westwards from the lookout.
Hi folks
I don't know about you, but sometimes I get lost and I can't remember where I left off!!
We were just leaving Airlie Beach, we didn't like the town anyway, too many backpackers!!!
But first we used the internet and bought some books, and even found a travel guide to India, that'll come in useful later on!
It’s almost 12 by the time we leave, so its southwards as fast as we can or as fast as the speed limit will allow us. Passing through Mackay, we spot a fruit and veggie shop so we stop to stock up, much much cheaper than the supermarkets, and anyway it’s Sunday and they are not open! We also stop at a roadside shop and buy some large cooked prawns, (yummy)
It’s just too early to stop at Sarina, so we keep going, but there’s isn’t much between Sarina and Maryborough, we could be free camping tonight! However going past Clairview, we see there is a holiday park there so we pull off, by now it’s just about dark and just drizzling, so we take a van for $38 . Clairview is only a few houses, the shop, post office, petrol station
China Town Gate China Town Gate China Town Gate

Not the largest of China Towns, but very ornate gates at either end.
and pub are all at the campsite. In the evening light the beach looks lovely despite the weather. It’s very peaceful except for the kookaburras; we now know it’s them as we could see them on the TV aerial!
It’s so peaceful that we stay an extra night. Perhaps it was more to do with the fact that locals come to the pub and it was very entertaining last night. There are lots of mature trees in the park and it’s a haven for the birds, lots of multi coloured parrots zooming around. In daylight and with the tide about a kilometer out, the beach doesn’t look so appealing, it’s very rocky and there are a few mangroves struggling amongst the rocks. They have Dugongs in the sea water around here, but they are quite rare and you really need to be in a boat to see them. It is also starting to rain, but everyone is pleased, water is very short here, as it is all over Australia.
Next morning we move on, just stopping for coffee and to swap drivers. Just north of Gin Gin, we are stopped by a police check. The police stop all traffic, both directions, it’s good job the roads are so quiet, can you imagine the police doing the same in the UK, it would be chaos!! I’m breathalyzed and my license is checked, everything is in order and we are sent on our way, its 2.15pm, I’m so glad I just had coffee earlier on.
We keep driving, our aim is to be within easy driving distance of Brisbane as we would like to organize our visas for India tomorrow morning and they take at least 10days to come through. By the time we reach Gympie it’s dark, so we stop and take a caravan for the night. I’m glad we did as the temp reaches just 3° c, winter has arrived in Australia!!
Off to Brisbane next morning just stopping at Wild Horse Mountain Lookout for a fantastic vie of the Glass Mountains and the surrounding area.
Finding the Indian Consulate isn’t a problem, neither is applying for the visa, this is an Honorary Consulate and is run by volunteers. They are busy but very friendly and helpful. Next it’s off to find Tim’s (Raggy’s brother) place, that’s where were are staying tonight
Byee for now, (yippee I’m just about up to date!!!) Arnie & maggie


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb