14th February 2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mackay
February 15th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

14th February 2008
It started raining heavily yesterday about 2pm in the afternoon and continued most of the night. I was convinced we were going to be marooned at the camp site as the land is low and the creeks were overflowing from the day before. We left our beachside cabin not knowing whether we would be able to get to Gladstone or not as we had heard on the television of roads in the area being closed. We decided to use the main Bruce Highway rather than the smaller country roads in case of flooding. We wanted to call in to Agnes Water and The Town of 1770 on the way as we had read that they were very attractive seaside resorts and the last of the big surfing beaches.
We made good progress along the main highway and saw some kangaroos in the fields on the way (there was also some dead ones at the side of the road). When we got to Miriam Vale we stopped for some coffee and toast. This was also the turn off point for Agnes Water, but the coffee shop owner told us that all the roads to Agnes Water were flooded and that they were totally cut off, so we had no choice but to press on to Gladstone.
We made good time and posted yesterday's diary on the internet at the tourist information office in Gladstone. We asked the lady on duty where we might see some kangaroos and she directed us to Tannum Sands where some friends of hers often saw them in their garden.
Although the rain had started again we drove out to Tannum and there was a kangaroo just munching away in the park. He let us get so close but no nearer. While I was trying to snap him I nearly walked into a massive spider's web and a GIGANTIC spider sitting in the middle. I was a bit scared but I did snap it!!! We went for a walk on the beach and watched some black and red parrots eating seeds in a fir tree and Bob says he saw blue and yellow ones but I didn't see any!!!
We have checked out the plane times for tomorrow so we are all set for Mackay and meeting with Jo and Alan.
Again we have no internet connection here in Gladstone so will have to wait again to find another internet connection post this blog. I have added the only pictures of the disappointing night at the turtle beach -a little gecko who plopped down from the ceiling at the centre and the picture of the model turtle to show how big they are.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



15th February 2008

Gecko for me
I love the gecko, can one plop into your suitcase to come home? Sounds like you are just about surviving the weather. Its very chilly here now, but hopefully brightening for the last weekend of half term.

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.055s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb