Lizard island/Great Barrier Reef!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Lizard Island
March 13th 2013
Published: March 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This is the highlight destination of our trip! We arrived here on our 6 person prop plane! It was pretty amazing to see the Great Barrier Reef from above. We have been to 2 places that you can see from space - The Great Wall of China and now the Great Barrier Reef. We were met at the Lizard Island "airport" pavillion by some of the staff and were taken right to the resort where welcome beverages were waiting. Once we got settled in our room, we got our little boat, our picnic lunch and our snorkle gear and headed out around to Watson's Bay to get a look of the reef from below. There are a few pictures from our first snorkle visit below 😊 We are pretty happy with the underwater camera so far. I also got some video, but after reviewing it, I learned that I need to pan a whole lot slower! While down there we saw a sand reef shark! It was probably 5-8ft away from us and about 5ft long, but quickly swam off - I was kinda happy about that! While eating our bento box lunches - which were really good, a bunch of little tiny fish started jumping in schools around our boat! It was like they were being chased and just skimming the water - but the staff here says its just what they do. After our final snorkle, and after losing an earing while trying to take off my mask (Sorry Michael & Laura - final resting place is the great barrier reef!), we headed in for the day so we could clean up and get ready for dinner. Dinner was a 7 course tasting menu - just small portions of everything - - from tuna tartar to huge prawns to grouper to venison...the fish was so fresh - you can tell the difference.

The only unfortunate thing is that there has been no sun yet - just clouds and rain 😞 This morning was expecially rainy, so we book a massage and after that headed out in between showers for a quick hike to the Blue Lagoon - which is just across the island a bit. It had extremely soft, white sand and sand where when you took a step, you sank a good 3-4 inches...like you do in snow! There is not much reef other at that beach so we were really surprised to see another shark just swimming 2-3ft from the shore! They are reef sharks and are evidently afraid of us, but still fun to see! After a quick lunch (salmon - it was a white color!) we were off to our diving lesson course. She gave us the run down and then in the water off the beach for a 20min scuba! With all the rain and wind, the water was not as clear as it could be, but it was still amazing. We saw quite a few fish and also found a sting ray slightly buried in the sand below us 😊 Tomorrow - as long as the weather holds for us, we will go out for a full day scuba tour where you get to see fish that are up to 300lbs! Al is very excited - I might hide behind him instead of petting those huge fish...hopefully not...the guide said they are very friendly and know the staff and always like everyone...we'll see!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Boating & snorkel & picnic lunchBoating & snorkel & picnic lunch
Boating & snorkel & picnic lunch

Just us and the boat and the fishes!


13th March 2013

Hooray for Lizard Island
Wonderful place to view and enjoy special seafood, Al and Rachael! Great photos from your scuba diving. Best trip of your life!! Love, Mom & Dad

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb