Burke and Wills Camp 119 to Karumba


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Karumba
June 30th 2016
Published: July 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Burke and Wills Camp 119 to Karumba.
The morning began with the education of Burke and Wills exploration. Camp 119 was where Burke and Wills left King and Gray and made one last desperate dash to find the ocean, supplies very low. King and Gray, marked no less than 15 trees at this camp which symbolised that they had discovered the Gulf of Carpentaria, but like all things the old trees have died or been destroyed, concrete markers sit in their place now.
At 0916hrs, odometer 94112 kms, temperature 17 degrees celsius we took a short drive into Normanton a historical town for a different reason. Established by William Landsborough.
The town first settled as a small port town to support the gold rush at Croydon has it's own colourful history.
On the banks of the Norman River it was once a very popular fishing haunt.
We visited The Historic Burns Philp building, now the information centre and the library. The building represents the story of one of the most successful companies in Australia. It dates back to the late 1800s (most likely the oldest functioning building in Australia)
We ate lunch at the historic railway station complete with museum. Famous for the Gulflander Train.
The tourist train travelling between Croydon and Normanton. The line built in 1891 for the transport of gold and cattle.
We voted in the Federal Election at the Normanton Town Courts and general observed the the town. The photographs of the large barramundi and crocodile a highlight.

Over the newly constructed Norman River Bridge towards Karumba and past the Mutton Hole Wetlands we arrived in Karumba in the early afternoon.
At the Mouth of the Norman River Karumba is the centre of the Gulf's prawning, crabbing and barramundi fishing industries. Karumba is the only beach in the Gulf Savannah serviced by sealed road.
Our first visit was to the Lee Wilson Barramundi Discovery Centre which incorporates the only hatchery in the world, we did not see a single barramundi as we had no time for the tour, but did gain some information.
Taking the only remaining powered caravan site in Karumba Point. We settled into washing, jobs and food shopping before the boys went fishing for an hour and caught a snapper off the shore.
Returning we travelled to the Sunset Tavern. A beer and great view of the sun going down over the mouth of the Norman River.
Back at the van, BBQ pork ribs and sausages for the night before showers and bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb