Karumba Qld


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Karumba
June 25th 2022
Published: July 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

After being in the outback for some time, we were longing to see the ocean, and Karumba didn't disappoint. We were staying at Karumba Point, which is famous for its sunsets across the water, and after checking in, we drove down to the Sunset Tavern to see the Gulf for the first time. The water was aqua blue and who should be sitting at the Sunset Tavern, but our friends from Erina, Colin and Lindsey.

After watching an amazing sunset, we arranged with Colin and Lindsey to meet the next night for dinner at the Sunset Tavern. We all enjoyed our Barramundi dinner at the tavern. We also enjoyed Fish n Chips from the famous Ash's Fish Shop in Karumba Point.

Each morning, we did at least a five and a half kilometre walk along the beach, hoping to see a saltie. No luck. Although the pool in the caravan park was cold, it was a better alternative than swimming at the beach.

We also visited the Barramundi Discovery Centre at Karumba, which each year breeds and releases many thousands of fingerling fish into the dams and river in the region.

On our last night in Karumba, we booked the Ferryman Boat Tour, which was excellent. Drinks and nibblies were provided on the tour, and we first went up the Norman River to learn the history of the port, on the way seeing two large saltwater crocs, along with the feeding of Jabirus and Kites. After exiting the river, the boat headed straight out into the Gulf to the Sand Island. I thought it would be a kilometre out, however, we were so far out that the lights of Karumba Point were only a twinkle on the horizon. The Sand Island is less than a meter above the water line, and with the large tides, I was making sure we weren't left behind when the Ferryman left. At least we were able to see our first wild saltwater crocodile. It is scary to think that in a few decades, some of the crocs, with the ban on hunting, will grow to the size of Krys the Crocodile.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb