Resting at Russell and more


Advertisement
Published: November 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

My laptop seems to have died so this will be brief as I am using the iphone and thick fingers struggle with the keyboard.

We have has some delightful easy sailing these last few days. We left Cape Grafton under sail with plans to get to Mourilyan Harbour but the winds were light so decided to moor up at Russell Island (part of the Frankland Island group). Despite a big rain storm one night we had a lovely time there exploring its beaches, coral and small steep bits of rainforest. Hung out with a couple who were camping there and stayed 2 nights as winds remained calm.

From there got to dreary Mourilyan Harbour, bypassing grumbling storms on the coastnext day to Dunk Island. After a walk past the derelict resort to Muggy Muggy beach and a shower we sailed on. This day the wind picked up to 20 knots but from the rear it was easy fast sailing, and pushed us past the big rainstorms and lightening on the coast, down the Hitchenbrook Channel.

We calmly sailed the the few miles to Scraggy Point and chose our anchorage spot close to the beach. Unluckily for me who has to go up front to release the anchor it tipped down with rain just at this point and I got soaked to the skin! I retreated to the cockpit, stripped and toweled off while Naomi caught 2 buckets of water with just one raincatcher.

Today all is calm but very overcast, so it's hard to appreciate the normally stunning scenery around us

Luke

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb