10th February 2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
February 11th 2008
Published: February 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

10th February 2008
After following John the fish and chip man's instructions we arrived at the Beach Motor Inn in Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast, apparently a surfers paradise. We went to bed very early as we were 3 hours ahead of Australian time after flying in from New Zealand. So we were awake before 6.00 am next morning as were all the surfers. We strolled along the crowded beach and watched the surfers riding the waves and the lifeguards training for rescues. After breakfast at the Sunday market we travelled up the coast from Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast to Maryborough on the Southern Fraser Coast. We stopped briefly at Noosa Head to walk along the coastal path where the tourist information reported that a koala had been spotted a few minutes along the path. But although we peered up every gum tree he had obviously got bored and gone off to sleep elsewhere.
Maryborough is called the heritage city because of it's old buildings and realatively unchanged appearance since 1906 when they were built. We have found an excellent self catered cabin at Wallace Caravan Park, recommended by Lonely Planet. It is a bit like a dolls house but very clean and very quiet.
We found a very helpful lady at the tourist information who helped us book our trip to Fraser Island tomorrow and then found a very good bakery for Bob's meat pie and my spinnach and goat's cheese roll (Vern please note Bob's not gone for the coriander option and he has a new bag of Mars Bars).
This afternoon we travelled to Tin Can Bay as we had read that there are dolphins there but the tide was so far out when we got there we could hardly see any water. So we walked along the environmental walkway by the foreshore. It was picturesque in the evening light with the sea birds wading in the mud and the various parrots calling.
The weather forecast is rather poor for the next week with heavy rainfall predicted all along the Queensland coast.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb