"DINGO!" Slap them, they're French...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay » Fraser Island
May 21st 2006
Published: May 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

So after a mamoth journey in from Kroombit, we checked into Koala's, and found out that to get the pizzas that we so desperately craved, it would require a 2 hr round trip walk..or pay 5 dollars extra for delivery...not going to happen! So will and i braved it, made it to eagle boys 5 mins before it shut, and got some awesome pizzas! On the way there, several cars drove past with people lugging cans of beer at us out the window...quickly realised Hervey Bay sucked! The next day we played a bit of cricket, good fun, and then met up with the rest of the group who ould be going to Fraser with us. The briefing lasted ages, with us being put in a group of 11 which included the 3 of us, Shane (the 23yr old Canadian comedian!), Sharn (really cool 28yr old English lady), Sing us a song Jenni and Linda (the 23yr old Irish girls), then 2 Danish girls whose names escape me (kia and marie or something like that!) and then the 2 French girls from hell (known as ugly frenchy and ugly frenchy's friend who cant really speak any English!)...

So we all put some money in, sent the girls off to do the shopping whilst we sorted out the drinks.. The rest of the day was spent on the net, relaxing and eating our all you can eat pasta buffet! The next morning was very early..5am! We put our bags in storage, then began to pack all the stuff into the 4x4...soon realised it was a tight fit! After this we got the briefing on driving on the island (which we couldnt do anyway cos only over 21's can drive :-( ) and the set off for the ferry.. We arrived at 9am on the island and drove straight to central station..with frenchy number 1 almost sending the van skidding off the side of the track! In Cental Station we all went for a walk around the rainforest, immediately sensing the French girls would be annoying! Then headed off to Lake Birrabean, a really beautiful and clear blue lake...spent 30mins here swimming and throwing a ball about.. Next it was the mission of a drive to the beach where we werent meant to drive after a certain time due to tides and the fact that any salt water on the car meant total loss of all of our 60 dollar bonds.. Still after being stuck in sand for 5 mins, we caned it down the beach to our camping spot, where we relaxed by the sea playing some beach cricket.. That afternoon we walked a couple of km to Lake Wabby, the green algi lake... This lake has huge sand dunes running down into it, which were so much fun to run down and dive in! We swam about, took phots etc..then missioned it back to the campsite to set up tents and stuff before it got dark.. That night Si cooked us a bbq, and we all sat around playing some drinking games until 2am ish.. G'day Bruce and 21 were brought out again..thanks TJ and Joffy for those! By this point Sing us a song Jenni and Linda were trashed (1 litre of vodka and gin respectively..impressive!) and Shane was thoroghly entertaining us all with his quick wit and hilarious stories! We eventually went to bed, and awoke early the next morning to pack up and head off up the beach for the vast amount of sites to visit further north (the beach we drove along runs 75 miles..its a huge island..largest sand island in the world!)...

The first stop up the beach, having spotted Eli Creek from the van, was Maheno ship wreck...got lots of cool photos etc.. Then headed up the beach for another hour or so up to Indean Head where we spotted some small Tiger sharks, and a baby turtle..! The French girls issues began when we didnt have enough time to walk to the Champagne pools as the tide was coming in too fast.. They started moaning about us stopping for 15mins so the other girls could have a shower, and as they had gone to bed at 7.30pm the night before, claimed everyone else had hangovers..such silly idiots! So off we headed back down the beach, with Shane continuing to entertain and inform..he nicknamed me Undies which seems to have stuck..(i was wearing boxers under my swimshorts in the first lake we swam in!) Quite interesting hearing all about (or aboot!) the Canadian poitical system and its links to Britain and the States.. Anyways, we decided on a visit to Lake Macenzie for the rest of the afternoon, after a decent lunch... (although by this point everything we ate tasted of sand!) This lake was perfect, really picturesque, although it was quite busy! Still, we played some cricket, and then headed off back to camp, with the tracks getting progressively worse, making us all feel as though the van was going to tip over at any moment.. By the time we got to the beach it was dark, but within minutes the tents were up and another bbq was going..not so great for a vegetarian but hey! That night our group of 7 had a few quiet drinks under the stars, gaining advice from Sharn about what to expect from Uni, and listening to Canada's childhood tales of throwing rocks at other kids faces!?! The next morning we were up early once again, and headed straight to Lake Macenzie for some more swimming, before we had to take the ferry back and clean out the van at the hostel..

We got fish and (or for me just) chips that night and chilled out before the guys started catching buses out of Hervey that night.. All of us 7 exchanged details, and will definately keep in touch as they were all class people! Had an awesome time on the island, but it was time the next morning to head off down to Noosa for a few days then on to Brisbane.. Although that night Spurs lost out on 4th place so I was very down :-(.. In Noosa (because its not worth a separate blog!) we went to watch MI3 and went bodyboarding, Koala's hostel was nice enough, and we were basically just sleeping loads to recover before Brisbane! Thats all for now folks..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb