Hospitable Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Mt Tamborine
January 12th 2006
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After the new year there was a mass exodus of travellers out of Sydney hence it was a nightmare getting coach travel up the coast. This mass exodus also stopped off in the same places we thought we would stop off at (that'll teach us for being sheep!)

Our first stop was Port Macquarie 6-7hours up the coast. This was a nice little place except for the fact that it just rained the whole time. So there isn't much more to say about this place except for the Koala Hospital. Here they care for any Koalas who have been hit in road accidents or burned in bush fires. The Koalas were so cute but sadly you couldn't touch them as they were hopefully being released back into the wild.

We moved on to Byron Bay which we thought would be better. There was more going on here but again it just rained and the hostel was really over priced and crap (like most so far is Oz).

We moved onto Brisbane as we thought at least if its raining there would be more to do. Then the weather improved and we moved on down to Surfers paradise which is like an Australian version of Benidorm but much better. We visited the theme parks around here and most nights they showed films on a big screen on the beach, which is something you can't do back home. The theme parks were great but it was sadly still the Australia school holidays so there were too many kids. In Dreamworld I had my photo taken cuddling a koala, which I had been looking forward to for months.

From Surfers we were picked up by Paul, who is Jason's friend that he met in the queue when visiting Wimbledon Tennis last year. Paul and his wife Joanne live outside Brisbane in a place called Tambourine just near the Tambourine Mountain. They both had miniature horses and they gave us a taste of Australian life in the bush. We had a lovely time and we saw so many animals to last a lifetime (including a huge huntsman spider!).

Even though Jason isn't as much of an animal lover than me, he just couldn't stop himself from picking up and hugging a three day old miniature horse. It was so sweet. We both even managed to have a ride on George, one of their full size horses, who was so calm and friendly.

Paul and Joanne took us places so that we could see lots of animals in the wild (the way it should be). We saw kangeroos, wallabies, cockatoos and brush turkeys to name but a few.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

JasonJason
Jason

Jason's first ever horse ride on George.
Dreamworld TigerDreamworld Tiger
Dreamworld Tiger

One of the Dreamworld Tigers having a play.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 18; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb