Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
April 17th 2013
Published: April 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The day started with a beautiful sunrise around 6am worth getting up early for though. This was followed very a two hour journey to Fraser Island which is an island that is made up purely of sand. To get there we take a ferry, our truck a lorry and two jeeps. On arrival we all disembark on the the highway, or the beach as most of us know it. We journey along avoiding various obstacles on the beach like rocks, a few shipwrecks, soft sand and of course the sea. We stopped for a cuppa on beach beach before proceeding to Lake McKenzie where we had a swim in the lake followed by lunch. The roads which are all sand were full of potholes and the journey was extremely bumpy. After lunch we ventured into the rainforest which is where they filmed the BBC Dinasour series. Eventually we stopped off at Central Station which there had been a village years ago. The rainforest here was absolutely lovely very peaceful and tranquil, only the sound of the birds and nothing else. Truly beautiful. Back along the bumpy roads a few a hairy moments on steep slopes where the sand had been washed away by the previous weeks rain then back on to the beach, which by the way also doubles as an airstrip. Had to stop for a few minutes while the place landed. On the way back to the ferry we saw a dingo. Thankfully we didn't see any nasty spiders as they only come out at dusk but we did see lots of little holes where they burrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb