Fraser Island - Day 6


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
August 23rd 2009
Published: September 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Got up early to see the sunrise over the ocean. Eventually the kids got up and we went for a walk along the beach before many cars were about. Back to camp and the kids were digging holes in the sand bank and got Rod to stand on top and laughed as the bank collapsed from under him. Rod and I sat on chair to watch the passing parade while the kids ran in and out of the waves. Kate got changed into her bathers and pretty soon Alex stripped off his shirt, laughing and jumping the waves. Next they were started digging, making sand volcanoes. High tide wasn’t that high - compared to previous high tides, so we got some bread from the bakery and headed off to Lake McKenzie before too many people were there.

The road is a gotten worse, but that is the same everywhere. Had a sandwich, a drink then walked down the path to the lake. Lots of cars, but no buses, so it wasn’t too crowded. We set up our towels and ran in to have a swim. It was colder than the other day, because the day temperature was about 27. We laid around on the sand for a few hours, while the kids dug in the sand, and you guessed, made sand volcanoes. Left about 3.30pm and went back via Central Station to the beach. Along the way tried looking for the leg for the camper steps, but no luck. Set up the chairs on the sand dune and watched the cars go past. The kids each made a ridge in the sand, almost from the water to the bank and waited for a car to go over them, like speed humps. It took a while, but 4 came along, the first went over, the second through the sand hole where they started, third went around the water’s edge and the last over the bumps. A car came from the other way and surprised us by slowing down and turning around. They were the first car and thought what the kids made were turtle tracks and came back to investigate. Saw a frog on the campsite entrance - probably the one Alex wet on last night! Definitely not a cane toad, just a big frog!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Eastern Beach - Sandcastle buildingEastern Beach - Sandcastle building
Eastern Beach - Sandcastle building

Or is that pretending to be bookends??
Ridges in the sandRidges in the sand
Ridges in the sand

A car stopped because they might have been turtle tracks!


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb