4x4 Adventure on Fraser


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
May 5th 2008
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Birthday TimeBirthday TimeBirthday Time

Celebrate in style! :)

2nd - 5th May Rainbow Beach and Fraser Island



Preparing to celebrate our birthday in style after waking up on a cattle ranch, Jonathon and I geared up for Rainbow Beach! On arrival we thought we had missed the centre of town as it all seemed fairly quiet....we hadn't! This place really didn't have a party atmosphere. However, our hostel had a brilliant bar and we had a great night with everyone on the bus getting very merry!

Next day it was time to hit the surf. Taking some of the free body boards from the hostel we headed down to Rainbow Beach. The sand was supposedly meant to be many different colours, but it just seemed like regular sand to me. The surf was amazing and having done ourselves proud we came back to shore for some relaxation. Late afternoon we had to head back to the hostel for our briefing before we were let loose on Fraser Island tomorrow. We couldn't wait! We also met the rest of our group which consisted of 11 people. The other guys had been to university in Manchester so we got along from the word go.

Fraser island is one of the largest sand islands in the world and we had opted for a 2 night 3 day trip by 4x4. Having been given a brief itinerary we packed our 4x4 landcruiser, Hui, with the bare essentials (as we had 11 people to squeeze in too) before heading over to the ferry terminal. It was an 8 minute ferry crossing over to the beach which we spent on the ferry lookout scanning for dolphins, but with no success. Then the barrier went down, we switched to 4x4 mode and hit the sand. It was great fun in the back of the vehicle as we made our way down the beach. The sun was shining, the stereo pumping...life couldn't be sweeter! The supposed first stop was Wabby Lake, a short drive up the beach. Unfortunately we took a slight detour...Taking the turn off too ealry we headed inland. The tracks were getting bumpier and as we careered over the odd tree root things got rather lively in the jeep! It was great fun! After driving for about 2 hours we finally got our bearings and headed back out to the beach. Then, having driven through a spot of soft sand, we gradually slowed before getting stuck! This happens fairly frequenly and having listened to the briefing we knew exactly what to do...we thought! Everyone out, we pushed...but to no avail. The jeep just wasn't moving. Then another 4x4 came from behind and a kind Auzzie couple jumped out. The fellow was obviously a bit of a jeep fanatic and he jumped into the driving seat. After several attempts he finally freed Hui. Finally, after a further 2 hours driving we made it out to the beach. We had done one big U turn! With very little time left before it went dark, and the beach becomes unnavigable due to high tide, we sped North to have a quick look at the Maheno ship wreck and the Pinnacles before reuniting with the other 3 4x4 groups to set up camp for the evening.

The next challenge was to find a suitable spot behind the dunes which would be sheltered from the wind. After much debate our team took the lead and found the prefect spot. The tents were set up and we set about cooking up the BBQ for dinner. It was a great night, and a good chance to get to know Tom, Gemma, Jenny and Charlotte. One thing we had been warned about were the huge numbers of Dingoes on the island. After settling down we spotted one coming closer to the camp. They look very similar to dogs but can get agressive. We managed to ward it off and relaxed for the rest of the night with a few beers under the stars.

Next day we woke up and the weather was slightly overcast! A first! After packing the vehicles we drove up to the very North of the island to Indian Head. Here we made the short walk up to the top of the headland to look over the sheer rock face into the crashing waves below. It is round this area that sharks can often be seen but all we managed to spot was a turtle surfacing. After this we began the hour and a half journey back down the beach to Eurong where we would be able to pick up supplies. With our excessive driving yesterday we were getting low on fuel and with only half a tank to last us the remainder of the trip it was going to be touch and go! As we made our way down the beach we swapped places in the jeep with James and I sitting up front and Tom taking over the wheel. As we headed towards the rock overpass the problems began! Having to go around several rocks we then came upon a creek. Taking the advice we had received in the briefing we approached with caution...however, it was a little deeper than expected and as we rolled in there was a loud CRASH and numerous complaints from the back as people hit the roof! Having rolled out of the other side of the creek we all jumped out to find that Hui was not in the best condition! He had fallen foul of a rock which was hidden under the sand...the front axel had been bent, the suspension cylinder puntured and the front right wheel pushed right back against the wheel arch. Was Hui going to make it?! We feared the worst so went in search of the nearest phone to call the mechanic. He was there in a flash. It wasn't looking good and after replacing the wheel he confirmed Hui would be safe to drive back to the ferry terminal where we would send him back to be repaired in return for a new vehicle. A little worried about the possible financial implications of the crash, Hui lumbered back towards the ferry port. We were met by our new vehicle...Daisy!

After packing Daisy up and saying our sorry farewells to the injured Hui, we set off back up the beach to Lake Wabby. It was a 40 minute walk through the forest and sand dunes until we reached the fresh water lake. It was spectacular and great fun to run down the dunes and into the lake. After a little time we made the journey back and went in search of a place to camp for the night. After todays events we had yet again lost touch with the other 4x4 groups. Luckily, as we drove down the beach we spotted them again. With the sea fast approaching the top of the beach it became a race against time to find a suitable spot. It also becomes increasingly harder to drive as you are forced to drive through the dry soft sand. However, with Jonny at the wheel it was never a problem! We successfully navigated to a suitable spot and drove up on the dunes, setting up camp just before darkness set in. In the meantime we had to run down the beach to aid one of the other groups as they had become stuck in the sand. Racing against the incoming tide we managed to free them in the nick of time! With all groups camping in the same spot we had a great night with it turning into a bit of a party! However, during the celebrations Kit decided to try and open a can of beer with the car key...with luck clearly not on our side, the key bent!

Waking up with the dilemma of the bent key hanging over the group, we made another call to the mechanic after several attempts to fit the key in the ignition failed 😞 The same mechanic as yesterday turned up and after a few jokes were made as to 'when our next appointment was going to be?' he started Daisy up with a tent peg! Back on the road again we felt we were now prepared for anything! Looking on the bright side...we were on our way to supposedly the most beautiful lake on the island...Lake Mackenzie. After driving inland over the bumpy tracks we arrived. It was stunning and well worth the wait! The water was similar to that of a swimming pool and the sand was white. We enjoyed swimming in the lake and relaxing in the sun before we made our way back for the 3pm ferry.

Feeling like we had truely conquered Fraser Island we boarded the ferry feeling very happy. With all that had been thrown at us, we had succeeded in seeing the sights of Fraser! Although we arrived back at Rainbow Beach with a $2300 charge for Hui, we still felt that it was worth every penny for the great time we had had. I think Fraser Island was one of the best activites of the gap year so far and it was definitely the people that made it! A great group and a great time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



12th May 2008

WOW!
Photos of your Fraser Island trip look amazing, especially Mckenzie Island. You obviously had brilliant weather too! So glad I didn't know about the 4x4 incident . It sounds quite disconcerting!

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb