Rainbow Beach>>>>> Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
November 12th 2007
Published: November 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left 1770 in the rain to head to Rainbow Beach. It wasn't as charming as 1770 but we mainly went there to sort out our Fraser Island trip. It's always hard to be impressed by the new place after you've been somewhere that you really enjoyed. Anyway we stayed in Fraser's hostel...was grand but hated having to share with loads of people again. They organise a free trip up to the Carlo sandblow that teaches you about some of the bushtucker on the way....& the development of the islands & a bit about Aborigine culture. It was ver informative & tasty enough....We organinsed a 3-day trip of Fraser with Trailblazers....& for those of you who've been there before......we did the tour & not a self-drive. Fraser Island is the largest sand island of its kind....thought by some to have more sand than the Sahara Desert.....it forms form volcanic plugs...think that's what they're called....that over donkeys of years collect sand from the passing current. Eventually the sand pokes out over the sea forming an island & then the vegatation binds it all together. There are a few islands like this in the area but this is the one most visited. No-one lives on it except for a few Aboringine people. It's unique in that it has sand, sea....with sharks so not a great swimming spot....& beautiful lakes & rainforest.

I know you might think we're whimps by doing the tour but honestly, we've enough adventure from day-to-day without having to dig a hole to go to the toilet or rolling the jeep cause some plonker wants to show-off....it happened that a jeep had a bad accident the week we were there & some people had to be air-lifted to hospital. Crappy to happen......especially when you're on holidays....so we did the tour & it was great.....we saw almost all of the sights to be seen & had the luxury of a bed at night & the highly coveted toilet. There were only 9 in the group so it was comfy too. Swam in all of the lakes......body-boarded my way down the sand-slopes from the peak of Lake Wabby which is such a thrill. Just watch that you don't get chewed to bits by the March flies....they are big boys & anytime there's a bit of skin on display, they're on it. So when I wasn't rocketing down the dunes, I took refuge in the water.

It was a great trip & got to see & do loads in the 3 days. The rainforest walk was really nice cause we all walked through separately to see if we could spot stuff....didn't see anything out of the ordinary but it was so relaxing strolling through the forest listening to the sounds of nature. I know doing the self-drive would have added another element of adventure but think we got to see more because we had a guide that made sure we got to the places in the time given. Didn't mauled to death by dingos either so that's always a good point.

So from Fraser we moved on....Trailblazer style all the way to Noosa.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb