The Robeys take on Cairns -Fitzoy Island


Advertisement
Published: July 21st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Day 2

Note to self, going on a ferry over to Fitzroy Island with a hangover is not a wise idea.


We didn't have much internet on Fitzroy Island but who wants to be scrolling on Facey when there is so much to do.... or not to do...

As we arrived we were greeted by turquoise and azure blue waters, against a backdrop of green rainforest lined hills, the sounds of the waves caressing the coral abundant waters edge, giving off a sound like hundreds of mini delicate windchimes, it was postcard perfect of what a tropical island resort should be. The weather was pleasant, not searing hot but easy to wear summer dresses or tank top, shorts and thongs.

We arrived early and were given beach towels to do what we wanted until our room was ready, we decided to sit on the sun lounges by the pool before venturing to the pool bar and sitting half submerged in water to enjoy a couple of delicious cocktails.

A wander around the resort and another cocktail in one of the other bars ate the time away and we settled quickly into our room. Our room was the butterfly bungalow which was right at the outskirts of the resort, very private with a 30 second walk to the ocean and surrounded by rainforest on every other side and a lovely rainfall shower head.

It wasn't long before we headed into the ocean, a warm 22 degrees, which made a nice change from the current 13 degree waters back in Adelaide that I have been swimming in. I mermaided, of course and Kym snorkelled as we explored the reef coming across a variety of brightly coloured fish swimming around the coral and anemones. I was sad to see so much dead coral, it lined the shores where sand should be in big pieces 5 cm in length and for the first few metres off the beach was all you could see. As we snorkelled deeper out the live coral held more tropical fish of every colour, shape and size and then we saw our first turtle. She looked like an older turtle, she wasn't bothered by us as she munched down in the sea grasses, her shell dull with age but her eyes bright as she nonchalantly observed us. As she glided similar to a bird effortlessly through the water, a slow flap of her front flippers propelled her gracefully forward.

We saw a couple of more turtles before heading back into shore. The water clarity wasn't the best, the wind stirred the waters and the sun was going down but we were happy with seeing the 3 turtles and myriad of fish.

There are 2 restaurants on the island and we tried Foxys having the seafood basket but wishing we tried something not so pub like. We stayed for the trivia night before grabbing a bottle of wine, headed back to our bungalow and slept well.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb