The Furtive Furry


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Eungella
March 11th 2008
Published: March 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Finally! A native Australian animal in its native habitat. It was worth the hour & a half wait, on the wooden platform overlooking the creek. While the mozzies had their fill, we were rewarded with several fairly close views of the cutest little platypus. Following its trail of bubbles, we tried to predict where it would pop its strange bill out of the water next. As the bubbles got further away, & with my 'mik-n-druk' struggling in the fading light, we decided to head for our campsite for the night at Crediton Hall. "9.7km = 10minutes" or so the sign read. 18h20 now, sunset at 7. Excellent, we'll be there before the light fades for a change. Yeah right! Aussies must be the most optimistic people I've met. The "No worries" attitude pervades all spheres of life. "Oh, just a 5 minute stroll to the beach down that path" translated means 'take a hike along that rugged track for about half and hour, and you may find the beach'. Our 10 minute 9.7km drive must have been clocked by a Range Rover 4WD doing 90km/h around hairpin bends with sheer cliffs and rainforest either side. Well we're here now, and about to tuck into some pasta sauce 'ready in 10 minutes'. mmmm...10 minutes. I guess I shouldn't be clock-watching, I am on holiday. Bacon Carbonarra, tinged with Tabard insect repellant (a necessary condiment to any meal) sounds good! Good night!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb