Daintree Rainforest


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Daintree National Park
January 8th 2015
Published: January 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Daintree RainforestDaintree RainforestDaintree Rainforest

A rare glimpse of sunshine!
Mossman Gorge was well worth the visit. As this is aboriginal land we had to leave our car and take a short bus ride to the beginning of the path which we followed into the rainforest. We soon emerged into the gorge to look down on the Mossman River flowing between huge boulders. It didn't take too much persuasion to escape from the sticky afternoon heat and enjoy a good swim in the river, the first really cool water we had swam in since Cornwall last summer. The girls happily spent half an hour jumping off boulders into this lovely refreshing water, while around us warm rain began to fall. Quite a feeling swimming in the rain in a rainforest river!

Daintree Village was our next stop where we checked into a little B & B right in the heart of the rainforest. To authenticate our visit to the rainforest we had heavy (warm) rain for most of the next two days which certainly brought the tree frogs to life, calling aloud as soon as darkness fell. Both evenings here were spent in the village inn eating good food and teaching the girls how to play pool. The rain didn't
Mossman GorgeMossman GorgeMossman Gorge

Enjoying a swim in the cool fresh water
stop us from harnessing up to jungle surf on zip wires through the tree tops which was fantastic (even if Abby and Freya thought dangling from a steel wire 20 metres off the ground was a bit tame!)

We also visited the Daintree Discovery Centre where we learnt that the Daintree tropical rainforest is the oldest in the world at over 100 million years old, older than even the Amazon Rainforest as there was no ice age in this area. As a result there are several species of animals not found in other parts of the world including the huge flightless bird the cassowary. We ventured along raised walkways into the forest and climbed a 23 metre lookout which gave a fantastic view through and over the trees, but despite keeping our eyes peeled we weren't lucky enough to see one.

Our most northerly point to visit was Cape Tribulation where the rainforest meets the sea and mangroves literally grow on the beach; spectacular to see and well worth the final drive.

Back to Cairns for our intrepid journey to Lombok in Indonesia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Jungle Surfing.Jungle Surfing.
Jungle Surfing.

That's a nervous smile from Rebecca!
Show off!Show off!
Show off!

No, Stuart and I didn't manage that.
Got one!Got one!
Got one!

The female cassowaries really are this big.
Cape Tribulation Cape Tribulation
Cape Tribulation

Emerging from the rainforest.
Wow!Wow!
Wow!

Yes it really goes right to the ocean.
Mangroves on the beachMangroves on the beach
Mangroves on the beach

Seriously cool according to Abby!


11th January 2015

heights
Rebecca I didn't think you liked heights????
12th January 2015

Heights
It was brilliant, I was really brave! Singapore tomorrow, then boat on 24th. Love to you all.x
8th May 2015

Great Photos!
I love your photos! I used to live in North QLD and seeing your posts made me feel a rush of nostalgia. When I was there, I used to kayak along Cape Tribulation beach. It's really a wonderful experience. Hope you visit the place again soon!
29th March 2016

Daintree Rainforest By Far Best Destination
The Daintree Rainforest is truely the most amazing place in the work, where else do you have access to 2 world heritage sites? What an amazing world we live in! This is an awesome article, so detailed and captures all the best of the Daintree. Never have I been to a place filled with so much to do, tours, free activities and exotic fruits! My favourite activity would have to be the horse rides on the beach.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb