Coolangatta, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Coolangatta
November 19th 2012
Published: December 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Monday - 19 November - I headed for the beach in Byron Bay to eat breakfast, the streets were stained burnt orange with millions of squashed beetles from the invasion, shop owners were scrubbing them off of everywhere! Once I had eaten my breakfast on the beach, I left on the bus from Byron Bay to Coolangatta, the Gold Coast, where i met up with my friend Rob who had been kind enough to let me stay at his apartment for a few days. We went for a drive from town and covered Tweed Heads, Tugun, Currumbin, Palm Beach, Broadbeach, Burleigh Heads, Mermaid Beach and Surfers Paradise, stopping at points of interest and look outs as well as quirky antique shops and for nibbles. I had my first taste of Cold Rock Ice cream, amazing thanks Lisa for the recommendation! We went into surfers Paradise for a drink and watched the schoolies getting wasted. It was all a bit too tacky for me so didn't like it much but it was good to tick it off the list. Rob took me to the Twin Towns Casino and i played a pokie for the first time, needless to say we lost money, one minute you're up, the next you're down!

Tuesday - 20 November - This morning i went for a barefoot run on the beach to elephant rock and back, a decent run, but i could feel my leg pulling again so i took it easy half the way back. We had breakfast and then headed for the Gold Coast Hinterland. We took a road trip to the Hinze Dam, Springbrook National Park where we had afternoon tea in the Springbrook Mountain Manor, Rob joked that we were checking out the place to get married, i think the friendly hotel worker believed him too! We stopped off on the way to many beautiful lookouts and spotted many bush fires burning in the panoramic views of the valley. Opposite one of the lookouts was a Bavarian restaurant which looked intriguing so we ventured inside for a pretzel and refreshment before getting back on the road again. Rob knew of an English pub in the middle of nowhere called the Fox and Hounds so we stopped there for an ale. I had a hobgoblin, very nice, reminded me of the Hare and Hounds in St. Albans. The final stop of the day was Eagle Heights in Tambourine Mountain, a small town with cute little shops and bistros. As dinner time approached, i grew ever more excited as kangaroo burgers were on the menu!! They didn't disappointed, those bounding beasts make a mighty fine burger. A full packed day and a full belly i retired to bed.

Wednesday - 21 November - I woke to the chatter of the parrots on the balcony. Rob feeds them so they're very friendly, although i nearly came a cropper walking out with toast in one hand and tea in the other as one flew directly for me thinking i had tasty treats for him!! After breakfast we walked to New South Wales from Queensland, I had fun and games on the border, time travelling as the locals call it and ate more cold rock ice cream. To burn that off i spent afternoon at the beach reading and watching the surf..... phew it was exhausting!!! That evening we went back to the casino and watched a live band, I ordered tea at the bar much to Rob's amusement and we watched the old folks dancing, very well i might add but it was strange to see that people still do that kind of dancing. Will we be body popping in our 50's & 60's.... i think not, although if we are it would be brilliant!! "OOOhhh no, the back's gone again!!"


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb