Cairns to Cooktown


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cooktown
July 3rd 2011
Published: July 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Lion's DenThe Lion's DenThe Lion's Den

Lorelei and Daddy at the front on the Lion's Den Hotel
We left today heading for Cooktown. After stopping at Rex’s Lookout and a quick drive through Port Douglas, we eventually made it to the Daintree River ferry. This crossing was the first time it felt like we were actually starting our trip. It was also where I lost mobile reception. The road from the crossing to Cooktown crossed a couple of steep ranges which meant low range for us and Toni and Dave waiting at the top. Cowie Range was particularly steep and seemed to take forever in first gear, low range. Once we cleared the range we had a beautiful view over a bend in the Bloomfield River which provided us all with a chance to stretch our legs.

From there it was on to lunch at the Lion’s Den Hotel. It was in the middle of nowhere but had a great atmosphere. We all enjoyed our Sunday arvo BBQ lunch. Mitchell and Lorelei both enjoyed having their photo taken on the lion. Lorelei also enjoyed being in other people’s photos as well!

After lunch we headed for Cooktown passing the amazing Black Mountain which is made up of black granite boulders with little vegetation growing on it.
Lorelei as TarzanLorelei as TarzanLorelei as Tarzan

Lorelei enjoying a vine (swing) at Endeavour Falls
I hope to be able to stop on the way back and take some pictures. We had a quick drive through Cooktown and then headed to our first camping spot at Endeavour Falls. This was the first time that we were close to water that may have contained crocodiles which was very exciting for Lorelei. She can’t wait to see her first glimpse of one.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb