Charleville to Karumba


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cloncurry
August 18th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Australian Stockmen's Hall of FameAustralian Stockmen's Hall of FameAustralian Stockmen's Hall of Fame

A 'must see' when you are in the Longreach area.
Wondered where we were? A bit of a gap caused by poor Telstra coverage and lethargy! Back on deck now though and happy to report we have reached the Gulf. We drove here from Cloncurry yesterday and are in Karumba. We have done over 4000 km now with fuel consumption running at 14.3 litres per 100 km. Anyhow back to the last report.

Charleville

The visit to the Outback Night Sky Cosmos Observatory was really good. They had three large telescopes and focused on various stars, clusters and groups for us to see. We even saw Pluto and with its two rings it looked like a cricket ball with its stitching. The Camp Oven Dinner with a Bush Poet and 'Stainless' Steel a local cop talking about safe driving in the bush was also good. Excellent site in back corner of the camp.

Longreach

The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame is very good. Being bushies, we were familiar with a lot of the display items. The Longreach School of the Air tour was very interesting and well worth while. We took a trip to the Lilly Lagoon but the flowering had finished.
Qantas MuseumQantas MuseumQantas Museum

One for Bob! Again in Longreach.
Saw lots of birds though and added a few to my photo collection. That night we did dinner on Sunset Cruise on the Thompson River. Excellent! Site OK.

Winton

Had another Camp Oven with a couple we have got to know in Longreach. The award winning Bush Poet was very, very funny. A great night! The Waltzing Matilda Museum was good and Arno's Wall worth seeing. Rhonda went to see the footprints of Dinosaurs in rock. She thought it was worth while. I veged! Site ok.

Cloncurry

Well worth bypassing. Go to Mt Isa! We did the next day , and stayed overnight in a motel so we could do the 9am Hard Times Mine tour. Worth the effort. A number of people parked their van up and drove to lawn Hill from the Isa for a few days. They said it was fantastic. Maybe next time! Site fine.

Karumba

Report next time but site very good. Plenty of room for van and car with a bit of privacy.
Arno's WallArno's WallArno's Wall

An amazing eccentric created this 70 metre wall in Winton.


The road kills are unbelievable. Hundreds and hundreds of 'roos mainly. Struck our first narrow road to Normanton from Cloncurry. Had to 'drive' more but no real hassles. Roads are generally good although bumpy at times. Take care until next time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

'Ozzie' Flag?'Ozzie' Flag?
'Ozzie' Flag?

Arno's version of the Australian flag in Winton.
Musical FenceMusical Fence
Musical Fence

An amusing [but working] musical instrument in Winton.


Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb