Carnarvon Gorge QLD: A Pilgrimage


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Carnarvon Gorge
August 5th 2013
Published: August 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Carnarvon Gorge SectionCarnarvon Gorge SectionCarnarvon Gorge Section

This popular section is actually part of the greater Carnarvon National Park. There are 3 other sections, Ka Ka Mundi, Salvator Rosa and Mt Moffat that we'll need to investigate later in our journey. This Carnarvon Gorge Section is the major tourist attraction and is 16000ha in itself.
Walking part or all of Carnarvon Gorge seems to be a pilgrimage for Grey Nomads, aged between 50 and 80, travelling mostly in pairs with water, a packed lunch, a broad brimmed hat and a stick. Only occasionally a single male or female was spotted. (It was rare to find young back packers on the track.) You could hear their mental chatter, "We've finished working our butts off and now, here we are". With a constant trail of us folk who are in our 3rd trimester of life, all smiling and happy to be alive, we forged ahead (at least on the way in, fatigue quelled our excitement by the end of each day). I personally preferred the whole place to myself but luckily the gorge lost none of it's charm and has not been spoilt in any way by the hordes of pilgrims making the journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Creek CrossingsCreek Crossings
Creek Crossings

It is actually a wide gorge, with Carnarvon Creek winding along the base. There were many creek crossings, but walking along the base was quite easy.
In My ElementIn My Element
In My Element

My favourite form of tourism is "Geo-Tourism". I love being up close and personal with Australian Geography and Geology. My love of rock formations and landforms developed when travelling with my parents as a wide eyed kid. I still can't get enough.
Carnavon CreekCarnavon Creek
Carnavon Creek

Apart from creating a gallery of natural sandstone sculptures, the creek is pure and permanent. It is spring fed and a haven for plants and animals.
King ParrotKing Parrot
King Parrot

So bright and clean, feeding by the edge of the creek. His Mrs. was more dull in colour but so beautifully camouflaged I couldn't get a decent shot.
TracksTracks
Tracks

Tracks taking you to the magic features by the side of the gorge. They were often steep but worth the effort.
OverhangsOverhangs
Overhangs

Baloon Cave
Baloon Cave Aboriginal ArtBaloon Cave Aboriginal Art
Baloon Cave Aboriginal Art

Named after the stencil art found in the cave of a stone axe called Baloon.
Sheer Sandstone CliffsSheer Sandstone Cliffs
Sheer Sandstone Cliffs

Towering white sandstone cliffs were featured either side of the gorge.
Dave's Ready with His StickDave's Ready with His Stick
Dave's Ready with His Stick

Dave saves his walking stick for the next trek. He picked his up this time last year when we were exploring Cania Gorge.
Pick OnePick One
Pick One

This is the dump off and pick up spot if you don't have a walking stick. A very important accessory to your trekking out fit.
ContemplationContemplation
Contemplation

The sticks help us to think, to lean, to balance. They are suppose to help with posture as well.
Kangaroo Head (named by Dave)Kangaroo Head (named by Dave)
Kangaroo Head (named by Dave)

The base of the cliffs, tracks and creek bed are full of fallen boulders. Hope this one lasts a while longer.
Heading off the main trackHeading off the main track
Heading off the main track

Side tracks take you to the features of the gorge.
Steps and More StepsSteps and More Steps
Steps and More Steps

The steps and climbing were fine until the last 4 kms on the way back. Honestly I neither of us wanted to see another step in a long while.
Art GalleryArt Gallery
Art Gallery

Traditional owners of the gorge are the Bidjara and Karingbal Tribes. Their ancestors tell stories of their ceremonies and landscape on the white face of the cliff.
Stencil PaintingsStencil Paintings
Stencil Paintings

The freehand nets tell us this was also a burial ground and we were asked to treat the area with respect. Paintings were either made from ochre blown from the artists mouth or a crude twig brush. Hands, animal tracks, tools used for hunting were represented.
EngravingsEngravings
Engravings

Carved out with a hard stone are kangaroo and emu tracks, emu eggs and the rainbow serpent.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb