Carnarvon Gorge Day 3 Qld


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Carnarvon Gorge
May 25th 2022
Published: July 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We were slow to rise the next morning, our muscles being sore from the previous day's marathon hike through Carnarvon Gorge. We had two more side trails to explore in the gorge, but we had little idea of what to expect. We had been told that the Amphitheatre and Moss Garden were special places, however, that is an understatement. Both side trails were a good way into the gorge, and we ended up walking for nearly eleven kilometres over three and a half hours, in the process doing ten river crossings. It was worth every step.

To access the Amphitheatre, we had to first climb a series of metal stairs and then walk through a narrow cleft in the high sandstone cliffs, before emerging into a peaceful place surrounded by massive cliffs. We just sat there for ages in awe of this place.

We then hiked into the Moss Garden, which was the traditional birthing place for aboriginal women, with the aboriginal men being forbidden to enter. Even to this day, male aboriginal guides will not enter the Moss Garden. Once again, we were awe struck by the beauty of this place.

We hope the photos do some justice to a remarkable gorge.

I lit a fire for our last night in Carnarvon Gorge, which we sat around and watched the sun set over the golden cliffs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb