Australia Adventures day 24: Cassowary!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
August 29th 2014
Published: August 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi again to you,

Waking up in the middle of the jungle in a bed that is heavenly, followed by a really good breakfast. Wow. All so lovely here, thanks to Dutch Rob at the Rainforrest Hideaway. After the breakfast, we got our stuff together for some driving to the Daintree Discovery centre where you could learn about the oldest rainforrest on the Earth. Had some coffee when we arrived and bought a ticket to enter the boardwalk, but then someone told us that another guest had seen a cassowary at the carpark. Cassowary's are big walking birds, with a blue & red neck and head, black feathered body, big feet and a large horn on their head. Also, they are endangered so it was very special to see them so close like that. We did a walk around the boardwalk through the daintree forrest and went to the lookout tower where you could see over the tops of the highest trees. Nice to see, but after less than an hour, I had seen enough of the rainforrest. So we went on to some icecreamfactory where they had all the strangest flavours like chilli chocolate, rhubarb and pumpkin cinnamon. I took a macadamia coconut icecream, which was really creamy-like and super soft. Great taste! After this icecream break, we went back to Cape Tribulation for lunch at Mason's café. Falafel tzatziki wrap it is! And surprisingly, another cassowary! Just on the field next to the café. Impressive animals! The next activity was something we didn't agree on. My parents wanted to go to the beach to get a little more tanned, but we kids weren't too excited about the beach, so we went home and stayed there, playing games and talking to our friends. Some boring 2 hours. Packing followed our 2 hours of boredom, because this was the last day in Australia! We had a breadmeal, and my sister and I went back to our own room. Did some more packing, but while we were busy, we suddenly saw a enormous spider! And it scared the sht out of us. So we climed on our beds with our suitcases so it wouldn't hide between our clothes and tried a lot of ways to kill it. Like, stamp on it, throw stuff to it or squeeze it to death. None of it worked out, unfortunately. So we tried to get him stuck between the wall and a heavy wooden box and closed all our suitcases and backpacks and tried to get some sleep. With the lights on ofcourse.

Kisses, Rosalinde


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb