Wonga Beach, Cape Tribulation and the Daintree


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
August 12th 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We have had an interesting couple of days in our little motor home. We left Port Douglas and drove north to Mossman with the intention of walking Mossman Gorge. However, the car park was full to overflowing, the tour times listed - it all seems very organised now. We decided to leave it this time, another thing for OTWB (on the way back).

Instead we did a foodshop in Mossman and drove on about 25 klms to Wonga Beach where we were booked for two nights. It was a nice caravan park, lots of trees, pool, the beach at the door, friendly campers and, a surprise, lots of peacocks! Our neighbour fed them every afternoon and they'd all gathered at her door - beautiful birds, males and a few peahens as well. Even they were pretty with their blue green necks but nothing like the males. One male, when the hens came for their share of food, put up his tail feathers and pranced around .. a rush for the cameras to photograph this beautiful bird, proud as!

Today we drove on to the World Heritage Listed Daintree and Cape Tribulation - not that far from Wonga. It is a fabulous drive, up and down the big rainforest hills, across the crocodile infested Daintree River by car ferry, through yet more rainforest and on to Cape Trib ... 'where the rainforest meets the reef'. The twice we've been there before, it's been a low tide, this time it was high tide. We walked along the beach, walked through the rainforest, all the time looking for the elusive Cassowary .. last time we were up here we saw three, something of a record as they keep hidden most of the time. We didn't see a one this time. We called into Cow Bay, another nice little beach, and to the Alexandra Lookout where laid out in front were all the hills and beaches as far as Port Douglas and beyond, and islands out to sea, including the Low Isles where Steve Irwin died while diving.

We had intended going to the Daintree Eco Centre but once more the car parks were full, the world and his neighbour are visiting up here at the moment. We went onto the little town of Daintree where there are cattle in the paddocks and sugar cane grown. I was surprised at just how many private homes are in the rainforest, a rather dangerous life I feel with crocs and snakes and cyclones, beautiful though it all is!

I have very little computer service here, no TV or 'phone service. Tomorrow we head for Cooktown.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

One of the creeks, DaintreeOne of the creeks, Daintree
One of the creeks, Daintree

but don't put your toes into the water ... crocodiles!
View from Alexandra LookoutView from Alexandra Lookout
View from Alexandra Lookout

To the right we could see beyond Port Douglas. The Low Isles are about the centre of the photo. The river there is the Daintree R.
Pretty country, DaintreePretty country, Daintree
Pretty country, Daintree

once out of the rainforest


13th August 2010

This is one of my most favorite of your travel blogs..Lovely pics...
13th August 2010

thank you
14th August 2010

Hi Val and Doug, I am loving your travel blog and counting down to when I can get my little MOHO and go "on he wallaby"! Your photographs are first class, the country looks beautiful - who would want to go overseas when we have all this in Oz. You are both obviously having the time of your life, so continue to enjoy. Hope to catch up when you get home to chat about some hints and tips for me when I get going! Lots of love from Lyn xxx
14th August 2010

Thank you Lyn! I've sent you an email xx

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb