Where the rain forests meet the shore


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
December 11th 2009
Published: December 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Jules and Sue arrived and we have had a splendid time mostly eating, drinking, talking, and keeping cool in the pool! They had a day in the rain and found the botanical gardens and an art gallery while i had a day trip to the rain forest .

We Ventured into Cairns which is a city of around 140,000, it is not as pretty as port Douglas but I liked it , the night markets sell everything and there is an abundance of restaurants to choose from along the esplanade . It is here in the late afternoon that the fit and not so fit take their exercise walking running jogging or cycling its up to you. It is in this part of town that the locals and tourists share their environment with nature,crabs , migrating birds and crocs are around this time of year so no swimming along this beach!!!!

A trip to cape tribulation is unique , it is where the rainforests and the reef meet the shore and is the only place in Australia , and i think the world where this can be found. I had a days tour north of Cairns to this part of north Queensland . The guides tell us that the rain forests in this area are the oldest in the world or at least the species of plants and trees found here are. We were taken to a number of Discovery centres and had guided walks through the forests. We learnt about the huge cassowary bird which roams wild in this area but is endanger of dying out. We cruised on the river looking for birds and crocs , though didn't see much of either, it was the afternoon and not the time for animal spotting. We were quite a large group around 20 in number and it was good to talk with a range of different people.

While this trip was interesting , i think i was all jungled out and if am honest saw much more in Borneo and of course it rained and we all got very wet!! Well this part of the world is tropical rain forest land, so wetness must be expected!!

So its a parting of the ways as i go off to Fraser Island , yet another world heritage site and Jules and sue stay on for a bit here before heading off into the bush with Hannah - safe journey you three, and see you at Mark and Tans for Christmas!!

much love
Carrie
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

This is cassowary countryThis is cassowary country
This is cassowary country

only 1200 survive in the wild


11th December 2009

Ahoy tis an orb
Hi Caro, fantastis blog - am enjoying following your travels and all the wonderful pics - black splodge could be an orb - they tend to come out in low light and you have captured a wonderful reflection of the clouds on the waves - some say they are energies or spirits...

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb