Cape Trib tour


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
September 16th 2007
Published: September 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I booked a 2 day tour to Cape Tribulation because it worked out much cheaper than going by bus and booking activities myself. I felt like a bit of a stereotype tourist, as we tended to stop at each place we went to for only half an hour to take pictures and then drive off. The driver/guide made it interesting by coming out with interesting facts for almost the entire journey and putting on Bob Marley songs the rest of the time.

We packed a lot in to one morning, visiting Mossman gorge, a small zoo, and going for a walk around a rainforest, before getting to our accommodation around 2pm.

I went for a walk along a couple of beaches (crossing a creek which i'll mention later) with Tom, an English guy from the tour, before joing Dave (from Perth) and Nina (from Germany) for some dinner. We got some jugs of beer, had a chat and got to know each other quite well. As the evening went on, a few people went to bed, while the rest of us got talking to some hippies and went down to the beach.

Having had such a good time
Beach by the hostelBeach by the hostelBeach by the hostel

An ironic pic of me in my Peruvian hat given to me by a friend!
i decided to stay on for another day as the others were, allowing me to join Tom and Dave on a trek up Mount Sorrow through the jungle (as Captin cook did to try and find a route through the reef). We had to sign in at reception incase we got into trouble and were given warnings about Cassowaries (similar to ostridge) which are apparently very territorial and have the potential to rip out your guts! This became the butt of endless jokes for the whole 6 hour trek, though we were actually on edge every time something rustled in the bushes! We also had to check the tide times as the road to the path crossed a the creek me and Tom had been in the day before and was appanrently dangerous to cross at high tide because it was croc infested!

The "path" was just slightly cleared jungle and very steep, so it was quite knackering but it was worth it for the view from the top. Some others told us to go a little further for an even better view which we nearly didn't but thankfully did as it was quite stunning.

In the evening a Japanese guy (who spoke amazingly well for 3 months of English lessons) and 2 guys from Cairns, and a woman from Melbourne joined us, and told some interesting tales!

The next morning a few of us went to the beach before me and Tom had to get the bus back. On the way back we went on a cruise on the daintree river and got rather close to some wild crocodiles!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb