DAY 33 MT ISA-BARKLY HOMESTEAD


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Camooweal
July 13th 2022
Published: July 13th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Our destination today was the remote Barkly Homestead, in the Northern Territory, located on the Barkly Highway between Camooweal, Qld, and Tennant Creek, NT. It is a true oasis in the desert. A beautiful place. Clean and very well organised. We stopped at Camooweal and walked the very small community which was once a major player with cattle droving. The new, huge bridge at Camooweal spreads across the wide Georgina River, one of the 3 major rivers of the Channel country, which eventually flow into Lake Eyre. New, upgraded roadworks were noted too.

Our drive took us through mainly uninhabited land used for cattle grazing. Hence, it was the occasional station homestead sometimes visible from the road. The rolling plains of grassland seemed never-ending with the colour of the landscape changing constantly. There were many road trains as they have taken over the droving. We stopped numerous times and walked into the plains to check out stock horses, bridges, brolgas, flora, roaming cattle and roads. We were not in a rush.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement










Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb